Morton Rust Removing Water Softener Pellets

TreeFiter

LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Jul 2, 2012
Saugerties, NY
I was in the store today, and I saw Morton Rust Removing Water Softener Pellets. They say they are 99.8% salt. So what makes them rust removing? Or is this just the magic of marketing? I would imagine there must be some sort of difference between this product and the other water softener salts on the market.

They contain a special chemical to prevent rust buildup in a water softener, which we don't recommend adding to the pool. In practice this particular chemical is not a big deal, but always better to avoid any un-needed chemicals to avoid complications.

I figured it had something added to it, but 99.8% salt is pretty pure so I wasn't sure. I understand not wanting any un-needed chemicals, but could it be beneficial for pools with significant iron issues? I'm curious what the added chemical is.

Yes, kind of. In a water softener there would be citric acid added constantly, which would help keep iron in solution instead of staining. But in a pool you are doing a one time application without the other steps of an AA treatment, which would use up chlorine and not do much else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.