Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Morton Rust Removing Water Softener Pellets

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Morton Rust Removing Water Softener Pellets

I was in the store today, and I saw Morton Rust Removing Water Softener Pellets. They say they are 99.8% salt. So what makes them rust removing? Or is this just the magic of marketing? I would imagine there must be some sort of difference between this product and the other water softener salts on the market.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Morton Rust Removing Water Softener Pellets

They contain a special chemical to prevent rust buildup in a water softener, which we don't recommend adding to the pool. In practice this particular chemical is not a big deal, but always better to avoid any un-needed chemicals to avoid complications.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I figured it had something added to it, but 99.8% salt is pretty pure so I wasn't sure. I understand not wanting any un-needed chemicals, but could it be beneficial for pools with significant iron issues? I'm curious what the added chemical is.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

4. Back To Top    #4

Citric Acid (<0.5%)

If you have chlorine in the water, it will use up chlorine and otherwise do more or less nothing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

So is this kind of similar to a Vitamin C treatment?
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, kind of. In a water softener there would be citric acid added constantly, which would help keep iron in solution instead of staining. But in a pool you are doing a one time application without the other steps of an AA treatment, which would use up chlorine and not do much else.