Everyone excited over Leslies Pool Supplies opening in our town...

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
We dont really have a pool store in our small town... now Leslies is opening up... everyone keeps telling me:

"Hey, there is a pool place in town now for your pool supplies."

lol.... my response is always "hmmm... I wonder if they sell bleach, baking soda, and borax?"

to which I get puzzled looks and a similar response along the lines of:

"No, they sell all the chemicals you need for your pool.... what is borax?"

I love it! ::epds::

Yup .. it is sad ... at least you found the right methods. You should print out some TFP business cards and show up at their grand opening :mrgreen:

Last time I was in there to get some acid, I started coughing uncontrollably from all the chemicals in the air.

I get my acid there too. It is about the only place where you can get full strength anymore. So I guess they are still useful for that. CYA and bleach I get at either Walmart, Lowes or HD all of which have much better pricing than Les.

Leslie's bought Warehouse Pool Supplies here in The Woodlands and that small company knows their business. It seems, so far, that the WPS method is prevailing over the old Leslie's way. I can only hope that they will spread the Warehouse Pool way into the much bigger Leslie's.

I get my acid there too. It is about the only place where you can get full strength anymore. So I guess they are still useful for that. CYA and bleach I get at either Walmart, Lowes or HD all of which have much better pricing than Les.

I recently passed up some at Walmart since it didn't list strength.

There is 31.4% at every hardware store around these parts, but I guess this isn't the future trend? I've heard Leslies has it cheaper in places, but I can't hardly bring myself to darken their door.

I couldn't find an MA at 31% at Lowes or Home Depot. I think it was less then 20%. Went to Leslie's and 2 gallons of 31% was less then 10.00.

When I went to Walmart they acted like I was asking for a chemical that produced Meth lol

They said they don't carry it, I didn't follow up with a manager cause I really hate going in there and thought it might be the lower strength anyway.

Solar System is on, I expect my chem usage will now go into over drive soon :p

I have no clue where to find bleach at 12%. Any suggestions would be a great help for me. Las Vegas area

Thanks

Check chemical suppliers first. There may be a commodity supplier around. Lots of cooling towers and some Rec water in Vegas, so you may find one. Janitorial suppliers have it but it's expensive from them around here.

Hey all, when looking for acid at the big box stores like Home Depot, don't look only in the paint section. At all my local HD stores, they have the Safer in the paint section, but have moved the full strength MA outside in the garden area. Some have it with cleaning supplies, some have it next to the pool supplies. Ask around in the garden center and I think you might find it.

I'll probably get flamed, but I have two pool stores near me and I frequent them quite a bit in the summer when the pool is open. Leslies has refills on most reagents and mine even sells the Taylor K-2006 kit. I also get 5 gallon containers of 12% liquid chlorine for about $13.00. It's easier to get a single five-gallon container of 12% stuff than buying 10 single gallon containers of 6% bleach. I also like to browse for stupid pool junk sometimes. :D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Why would you get flamed? Sounds like you go in for what you KNOW that you need and are lucky enough that they have the refillable liquid chlorine (most don't) which is a GREAT deal. Leslie's around here charges $10-$11 for 2 gallons of 12% and will adamantly warn you about TDS :hammer: ... it is cheaper and less hassle at the hardware store or Walmart.

Be a little wary of reagent refills though as you do not know how long they have been sitting around.

If you said, you go in and drop $100s on magic potions ... well then you might get a talking to :whip: ;)

The Leslie's experience, like most large establishments of any kind, depends on the individual store. The one closest to me has been very straight-up. I get MA, pucks (for vacation use only), and some replacement parts from that store. The quality of their trichlor pucks is among the best and the only MA they stock is the 31.45% variety, though I have also found the 31.45% MA in the garden section of "Big Orange."

There's another Leslie's here in town that I avoid. When I inquired as to whether they stock liquid bleach, I got the baseless TDS lecture :roll:. That was a deal-breaker and I haven't set foot in that store since.

Why would you get flamed? Sounds like you go in for what you KNOW that you need and are lucky enough that they have the refillable liquid chlorine (most don't) which is a GREAT deal. Leslie's around here charges $10-$11 for 2 gallons of 12% and will adamantly warn you about TDS :hammer: ... it is cheaper and less hassle at the hardware store or Walmart.

Be a little wary of reagent refills though as you do not know how long they have been sitting around.

If you said, you go in and drop $100s on magic potions ... well then you might get a talking to :whip: ;)

Well I won't mention the first time I went then... I think I bought two bottles of phosphate remover for $80 :crazy:

Anyway, yeah, Leslies is expensive for liquid chlorine. The one by me only sells one gallon jugs and they are really expensive. I find Leslies is less like to try to "pool store" you than the "local" store though. I think Leslies hires mostly younger kids who pretty much don't care what you buy. The local pool store is much more aggressive with their "advice." It is a good thing they sell refillable jugs of liquid chlorine, but I feel like I have to sneak it up the counter before the owner sees me and asks me why I'm not using pucks, lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.