Anyone know about Pureion Wave

A truly amazing lack of information on their web site.

My favorite claim from their web site is that it is chemical free, except that it puts ions into the water. Somehow those ions are magically not a chemical. They are also totally chemical free, no need to balance PH(!), which obviously can't possibly work.

There are some videos on YouTube. Wow. They go on and on about "ions", but never say what kind of ions they are talking about. I don't know if it's a scam, but I'm always very leery of people using scientific sounding words without any actual scientific information. To me it implies they don't believe honesty will help sell their product. They also refuse to give any pricing information without subjecting you to a salesman. It's not totally chemical free. You need to feed it muriatic acid, but that never enters the pool! Pure water does contain ions, but they won't kill anything and you can't increase them because they'll go back to equilibrium almost instantly. If this system really is as amazing as they claim, they should patent it.

The video I saw reminded me of homeopathy, with claims that the system is very powerful, kills bugs fast, and yet is perfectly safe with no side effect on people at all.

EDIT: Oh, It seems I saw an older website (www.pureionh2o.com). There are prices at the link above. "The ions then inhales the organic matters..." Just wow.

This is the same thing (just newer generation) of KrystalKlor and The Pool Prodigy whose websites no longer exist but you can see KrystalKlor in the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive here. It's also the same as the Eco Ion system described in this article (link broken so use this one). It's also what we wrote about in this thread. The KrystalKlor "Residential Systems" "FAQ" link at the bottom of the page says the following:

how do I know if the unit is working?
conduct an OTO test
take 1 oz of pool water, add 5 drops of OTO
should turn yellow

should I see bubbles in my pool?
Yes, the bubbles are O2 molecules plus our sanitizing ion.
Bubbles are necessary for maintaining your pool.

How do I know when to service the unit?
Check the service line indicator on tank. Once the fluid reaches the line, empty tank of all remaining fluids, add the proper amount of RK12 and acid according to model specifications.

What is stabilizer? Must it be added to my pool?
Stabilizer is a chemical found in every pool in the world. It prevents the UV rays of the sun from prematurely breaking down the product being made by your KrystalKlor® system. Climate dictates how much is needed in your pool (e.g. 70 – 90 ppm in Metro Phoenix). Pools require between 10 to 15 pounds of stabilizer per year. A year’s worth cannot be added at one time; it must be added incrementally. KrystalKlor®’s authorized service representative will take care of adding the appropriate amount of stabilizer to your pool.

This most likely looks like an off-line chlorine generator which uses Muriatic Acid as the source of chloride ions instead of using salt. Normally that would produce chlorine gas which would be injected into the pool and they could also inject hydrogen gas from the other plate (they claim they are putting out oxygen bubbles), but this would drive down pH and TA so not sure how they are handling that. The RK12 could be copper that gets converted to copper ions to help prevent algae growth if the chlorine level is low or it might be something like sodium chlorite if they produce chlorine dioxide instead of chlorine though I don't think the quantity is enough.

See this patent application from the inventor that seems to imply electrolysis (potential difference) from the hydrochloric acid and optional introduction of metal ions. This application is awful and very unlikely to become a patent as written.

Cute. And the video I saw on YouTube says it doesn't generate chlorine like a salt water system, because you know, chlorine messes up a woman's hormones. The patent clearly talks about chlorine.

Under the FAQ it says the "ions" surround the organic matter. They claim the ion then evaporates taking the organic matter completely out of the water.

Wow. Magic indeed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Neither "pureion" nor "KrystalKlor" are registered company names or establishments with the EPA (PPLS database or NPIRS database) and any "device" making pesticide claims needs to have an EPA establishment number on the label (it need not be registered as a pesticide). Saltwater chlorine generators all have such numbers (again, not pesticide registration, but establishment registration).

So don't worry. This company isn't going to get very far and even if they do register they won't be able to make false claims anymore.

http://nochempoolsaz.com/

Any clue what this magic chemical free system is, how it works, and if it is worthwhile?

Hi, I bought the Purieon wave system a month ago, I have not put chlorine in my pool for a month now. Unfortunately we've had three dust storms since then one of which my pool looked like a dumpster, with all the **** that blew into it. With that said, I have had to add muratic acid, twice. as it was so full of dirt. Other than that, my pool is blue and pretty. The customer service sucks, They didn't come to install it the day they said, I even had to call them (this is just to get it installed), Since the install they said they'd be back in a week, No Show. then said they'd be back in a month to replace the muratic acid within the unit located near the pump, (the muratic acid from there never goes in the pool), this I know because when I replaced it with new stuff, it was still full from the original set up. I tested my pool yesterday and I have no chlorine in my pool now, but it is still blue. but as I stated, they are as of yet, a no show and haven't returned my call. but I didn't put it in because of their customer service (as crappy as it is) but because my daughter would not bring my granddaughter in the pool until the chemicals were out.

As chem geek showed, they seen to change names often, likely to avoid consumer complaints. They have your money already, why bother to follow up when they will go out of business and change names? Or maybe I am pessimistic ....

What is funny is if the OTO turns yellow, that means there is chlorine in the pool ... just like the chlorine the rest of us add. How claim to be chemical free?

The piece that you do not understand is that just because the water is clear ave blue does not mean it is safe. You could use copper to get algae away, but it will not prevent person to person disease transmission.

It does have either chlorine or something like it (perhaps chlorine dioxide). OTO turning yellow means some sort of oxidizer in the pool though not necessarily chlorine. The system appears to use copper ions so that may inhibit algae growth though risk staining plaster green.

TMK, when the unit is operating and there are bubble coming out of the returns, what does it smell like?

Laveen:

Sorry you've had to put up with the poor customer service. I know how bad they are, as I went through the same thing last summer. You been working directly with RJ Wagner or Rob Richards? I no longer have their system, as it eventually turned the pool a beautiful yellow-green color. The worst algae I've ever encountered since isntalling my pool 20 years ago. The vortex continually went bad and they stopped sending replacement units even though it was under warranty. Tried to get my money back to no avail and finally had to sue them. Pureion defaulted on the lawsuit, and Mr and Mrs Wagner are currently in bankruptcy. My guess is that you'll never hear from them again. You may want to use the BBB to complain, but they won't respond to that either. Just to let others know what a scam this company really is..?

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thanks for letting us know about this. We've always thought it was a scam but had no proof of that from actual users. We also never figured out exactly what it was doing. Did you notice any smell near the returns when it was operating? Did it have a chlorine-like smell? Their claim was that the pH didn't change when the system was in use -- was that your experience?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.