Question on Interfacing Hayward Minimax NT gas heater with Aqualink

leibin

LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2010
Prescott Valley AZ
Hello!

I think I have most of this figured out - trying to control the heater from the iAqualink - the iAqualink manual says that the thermostatic circuitry of the heater must be 24VAC to use the Green terminal bar pins 1 and 2 to control the heater. I pulled up the manual for the heater, and while it doesn't specify in writing what the voltage is on the thermostat control board, it does show that the only voltage input is 24VAC. I'm assuming that I can just connect the aqualink 2 wire control method to the external switch / jumper on the heater therm control board and then set the unit for Remote operation, but figured I'd ask here first before toasting anything ;)

Also, when I look at the area for the 3 wire connection on the heater, pool and common connectors are currently not connected, but the spa connector has a blue wire running to it that is labeled 120V - I haven't metered it out with the DVM yet, but anyone familiar with this heater and why only one wire would be connected to the spa input on the thermo board?

Currently, the heater is a stand-alone unit with no external control. You have to use the front panel to select pool/spa and temp.

Thanks!

Yes the unit is running 24V. Follow the manual on how it shows you to connect up the two wire from the controller. You can us either spa and common or the pool and the common. Once wired in, press the remote button. Now you should be able to control the heater from your aqualink.

Thanks for the quick feedback!

Funny you mention, when I snuck outside again to look at the therm controller on the heater, it doesn't have the 'jumper' as the manual says, just the 3 wire inputs (spa, pool, common). Do you know what would be plugged into the Spa connector currently? And to clarify, a two and three wire setup are using the same connectors at the heater, with the two wire setup using either spa or pool and the common - is that correct? Funny the manual says there is a jumper separate from the 3 wire inputs....for the 2 wire setup.

Would I just unplug what is currently connected to the Spa connector (assuming we know what it is connected to at the other end), then connect the two wires from the Aqualink to the heater Spa and common connectors, setup Remote option and set the max temp to 104 for Spa? Doing this, it shouldn't matter if I'm heating the pool or the spa from the Aqualink, it would just stop heating at either the pool or spa set temp on the aqualink, correct?

Thanks!

Sorry, it's a Pentair Minimax NT. I did just trace the blue wire labeled '120VAC Only' that was connected to the spa connector, and it goes to a connector that is not connected to anything. So, I'm planning on connecting the two wires from the Aqualink to the spa and common connectors, and then setting the temp to 104 and the unit to 'Remote' mode - then the Aqualink should just turn the heater on and off when either the Aqualink's Spa or Pool temp is reached - does this sound right? I looked for the two wire jumper's labeled J2 and J3 according to the manual here http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/MiniMaxNTServiceManual.pdf , but there is no J3, and J2 is labeled fan.........basically, there does not appear to be a jumper on this control board for the Aqualink's 'two wire setup'. Still not 100% on this one ;D

Ok, maybe that's the wrong manual this whole time!...this one looks better, it's a 400 DV series heater. http://www.pentairpool.com/pdfs/MiniMaxNTLNIG.pdf This manual does not show that it has a fireman's switch, and does indicate to connect a two wire system to either pool or spa and the common connector. I think this plan should work, hopefully the Aqualink will activate the heater whether pool or spa heat is selected through the iAqualink. More to come!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.