are one type of filter cartridge better then others?

Iciee

Jul 5, 2011
phoenix
So I need to get new filters. I cleaned them and after a week pressure was back up and suction is down on my cleaner (mx8). I have been putting this off since I bought the house 3 years ago and now pretty much all the bands are broken. Is there certain brand or type to stay away from or get over another? Also anyone know exactly which ones my clean and clear plus 320 take (without opening up the filter)

I've had excellent service from Unicel. Filbur is another good manufacturer.

The one I've heard to stay away from is Pleatco. Unless they've changed in the last couple of years, they are as bad as Intex branded filters.

Check the Unicel website, they are good about the interchange on filters.

water looks ok not great but not bad. The cleaner has no suction power due to the pressure on the filter I would imagine. The current filters are in rough shape I have no idea how old they are as they were here almost 3 years ago. I will give the current cleaners another rinse/cleaning until the new ones arrive. Found a decent deal for $205 for all 4.
have a second question about my filter. On the bottom there is a drain plug but it is a PITA trying to remove it to clean out all the sand/dirt that is at the bottom of the filter. Currently I use a small shop vac but wondered if I could maybe put a 3/4 pvc ball valve on it it with a pvc threaded end. Making almost like a clean out valve. Anyone have a suggestion on or other alternative?

There isn't any reason I can think of why you couldn't put a drain valve on your filter canister, since it already has a plug for that purpose.

You could even use brass fittings if you wanted to go the extra expense.

There are a few threads you can try to search for that have done exactly what you are talking about with adding a valve.

Why is the drain so hard to open? It should not be.

Swimcmp, I seem to be just down the road from you, in Mexico, MO.

If the threads are not standard NPT, would it be possible for the OP to rethread the canister in a 1" or 1-1/2" NPT? How would this affect the strength of the filter canister?

There are a few threads you can try to search for that have done exactly what you are talking about with adding a valve.

Why is the drain so hard to open? It should not be.
well it has such a small space you can only get a wrench in there and do 1/4 at a time. It does have a slot where you can use a screw driver or stick of some sort to turn it, but again only able to do 1/4 at a time

If the filter pressure goes down after you clean the filter but then rises a week later, there is something in the water causing the filters to clog. It could be a mild algae bloom. What do the cartridges look like when you go to clean them?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
forgot to ask this but I have always wondered if my pump may be undersized for my pool since I do have a water fall? When the pressure starts to climb I can barely get water to come out of it. I cleaned the filters and the pressure started at 15ps but within an hour had climbed to around 20-22ps (about where I normally see it). After a day running, it is at 27psi and cleaner is barely moving even with the jandy valve completely shut off on the skimmer side. I will give them another cleaning tomorrow after work in hopes that it is maybe just dirty water needing cleaning. I have 4 filters on order
The drain plug issue I guess bothers me more then the act of opening it, is the water just spilling everywhere around my pad hence the reason I wanted to build some sort of way to divert it to a dedicated spot. I was not able to locate the thread about someone else doing something with it so if someone could throw up a link it would be most appreciated

You say your water looks clear? If it's not sparkly clear, you probably need to do a slam. Filter pressure rise as you describe on a constant basis like this is most often something growing in your water that you are just barely keeping up with. A SLAM followed with an OCLT would go a long way to curing your problem, I would bet.

well got my filters in last night but the place I ordered them from said unicell filters. Their distributor sent me pleatco ones. Thinking if I should call them up and request what I ordered or let it be. Although I did find the pleatco ones for half the cost elsewhere

Just an update on what ended up happening. I contacted the company and they apologized for not sending me the correct filters. They offered to contact the distributor and get the correct ones sent out unless I wanted to keep these. I offered to keep them only if they would refund me $74 (price they were on amazon) or to ship me the correct ones and a shipping label to send them back. No hassle they refunded me the money which was nice.
Here is my current situation, with the new filters in I am only getting about 8PSI but everything seems to be working fine. My mx8 suction cleaner is moving smoothly and do not need to have the jandy valve closed as much as I use to and skimmer has good flow as well. Now if I open up the return line for my waterfall the psi drops to 2PSI.
This is the first set of NEW filters I have installed since I moved here 2 1/2 years ago so do not know what normal psi should be on a new filter. I opened up the filter basket to inspect the cartridges thinking I had maybe not seated them properly but they were fine. I did notice that normally when I remove the lid of the filter there is water almost to the top until I remove the filters then water drains into the 4 supports that sends the water back to pool. But with these filters water was down level as if water is flowing right through them. I put a garden hose as a test and confirmed the water just flows through the filter and into the return line.
Any info if maybe I'm being paranoid or if I have cause for concern with the PSI.
Have a second question unrelated to this topic but I have 2 drains in my pool and the drain covers have a raised area that my cleaner keeps getting stuck till it moves. I would like to install 2 flush ones so the cleaner will not hit these as much and do a better job cleaning. Any safety issues with flush ones? I remember a while back there was some drain recall
here is a picture of what the inside of the filter cores look like compared to my old one (unicell)
http://www.spafilters.com/images/ffc.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.