LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Wasn't sure where to post this, so here ya go. First off, I am 99.9999% sure what we have is NOT Algae .. I am meticulous about maintaining and testing our CL (and all) levels. We have a Polaris 280 Cleaner that I run at least 2 hours a day (Winter) and 4 hours a day (Summer). It does a great job at picking junk up & the pool looks GREAT. My other half noted the other day that he could wipe his fingers over the side wall (in the water) and there was some dark dirty stuff that came off. This was brand new surface (Fiberglass) 1 year ago. I am a little less diligent in my scrubbing of the walls with my large brush - so things probably accumulated over the last year. But I'm certain that this is just accumulated dirt giving it a dull-like look vs. pristine WHITE like when new last year.

So my question - what do YOU use to clean the walls and bottom of your pool? Does a simple WEEKLY (??) scrubbing with the brush REALLY maintain that? Do you hand-scrub it in the summer when you can get into the water? Do you dump some chemical treatment in from time to time to get it white again? (something Acidic?) What about a Magic Eraser (yea, tedious - but any danger?)

Thanks in advance.

My fiberglass is a deep sparkly blue so I don't see any thing other than some water spots on the pool wall above the water line. We brush or scrub that occasionally with a big scrubby mitt while hanging out in the pool. I've also used paste wax on that area above the water line to make it shine more and its worked well for me.
I just wonder if you're pulling off dust that is settling? Brushing your pool at least once a week might be all you need as you wash that area down and let the filter handle it once its in the circulation.

Re: General "Cleaning" of Dirt Stains ?

I can't call it "slimy" ... just, I guess, slightly dirty ... I need to find one of those scrubby mitts ... and use my big brush more often (too lazy).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and PS -- the walls are NOT totally smooth ... They sprayed on the Fiberglass and "rolled" it to (mostly) smooth it out ... But being Fiberglass, it definitely left small holes/crevices that you can feel ... Very different feel than those factory-formed Fiberglass Inserts.

Magic Eraser - safe for under the water to scrub walls ?

So, I posted about this issue a few months ago and now that I'm finally able to get into the water (temp 88) I decided to try to figure this out & clean it. The (sprayed on top of gunite) FIBERGLASS walls of our pool have a very VERY light dirty stain of some sort ... if you rub hard with your finger you can see a visible line of the rub marks. For the record, my TESTS are coming up clean of any organics in the pool. (see below). But this light (very light) stain/dirt is definitely all over the walls (and presumably floor). For grins, I took a Magic Eraser and started scrubbing the walls. The 'stain' DEFINITELY is coming off, albeit very tedious. Normal brushing just doesn't clean this off. The water looks clear & clean. (Is it OK to use a Magic Eraser in the water?)

So, what to do? How would YOU experts address this? Would you SLAM it just to rule out Algae? Some acidic treatment? I have NEVER allowed my FC to get below 3.0 during the winter months, and now maintain FC around 5.0-6.0 now during the warmer weather. I am perplexed by this and how to resolve it.

FC = 5.0
CC = 0.0
PH = 7.5
TA = 80
CYA = 45
CH = 230

OK, so no ideas from anyone ... More research: Has anyone used these? >> " Mytee Brush Swimming Pool and Spa Cleaning Tool" ? http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/product_family.asp?family_id=2852

I had seen comments from some that these "shed" into the pool water after much use. I just can't figure the best/easiest way to clean the walls below the water line. Simple Brushing wihj my Wha;e Brush does NOT remove this.

General question : If my CC=0.0 , doesn't that mean that this should NOT be Algae ? or can I have algae even when CC = 0 ???????????

The stains came off fairly easy, albeit tedious. Brushing the walls just didn't do it for some reason. (And I wasn't about to dump tons of Citric Acid or chemicals into the pool). I DID notice that it came off fairly easy with running my fingers over the walls. So I jumped in with a large sponge and swiped the walls with it. The stuff came off pretty easily. But of course I could only reach down so far. SCUBA gear would help. lol . So my NEXT step for the lower areas of the walls is to use a floor mop with a clean Sponge on it. Hopefully THAT will get further down the walls. So not sure what this "stain" is ... Maybe dead Algae from yellow mustard algae outbreaks over the last 4 years years? But a regular Wall Brush (Whale Tail) doesn't do it. Good luck.

I've used the Mytee brush gloves... they work great but they do seem to deteriorate after about a year. Or perhaps since I never rinsed them off with plain water the residual chlorine did them in, I dunno? But they're handy.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.