Converting to TFPC from Frog Mineral System

Apr 8, 2014
Tennessee
We have had our fill of the Frog Mineral System. First two years where fine but it has been down hill from there and it seems to cost more every year to get it ready to use. I tried searching but I couldn't find the exact answer so I am going to ask a dumb question.

Can I get someone to give me step by step on converting from the Frog Mineral System?

24 foot above ground
15,000 gallon
Hayward pump with Cartridge

Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are making a wise choice.

Step 1: Remove mineral pack.
Step 2: Add chlorine (ideally in liquid form).

There really is no conversion process. Although there are some issue that may come up. If you have added a lot of minerals to the water, it can cause staining and green hair. The only way to get rid of the metals is by replacing the water. You may be able to use a metal sequestrant to hold the metal in suspension and avoid the staining.

Actually let me add some steps:
Step 0.5: Order one of the Recommended Test Kits
Step 0.6: Read Pool School while waiting for kit
Step 2.5: Post up a full set of test results so we know what needs to be adjusted.

Welcome to the forum!

Like blizzle said, just don't put anything in the dispenser. Once the dispenser has everything removed, turn the dial all the way up. This will keep water flowing through it so it doesn't just sit and get stagnant. You (and your wallet) will be very happy not using that system.

Question for those that know.... is there any point to getting a pool store to test for metals so that he knows if he needs a metal sequestrant?

Not sure if those tests are easy to mess up or easy to do on your own or if they provide enough data to know about need for sequestrant.

There was just a post today about how the water was test at 2 stores which shown zero iron ... and yet the pool was tinted and staining starting to form again. So, not sure the metal tests are reliable or not ... or maybe it was not iron in that case.

Although, if there is staining and the water is tinted, doesn't that mean the metal has left solution and may not show up on the tests? :scratch:

Pool stores are even less likely to be able to measure metals than any of the regular levels. There are also situations where even the best metal tests will read zero even though there are obviously metals in the water.

Test kit is ordered and working on my required reading.

We are still closed up for the winter and plan to open in May. We wanted to prepare early for the change over. We can drain and replace water if that will clear up a possible metals problem.

We are actually excited about pool season now that we have decided to go this route. Usually all the dollar signs it takes to open and maintain the pool for the swimming season tend to put a damper on everything.

Thanks!

Replacing the frog was the best pool decision I ever made, I think it will be for you too. Just not buying a mineral cartridge this season has more than paid for the new test kit. Once you get the hang of testing regularly and keeping on top of chlorinating with liquid everything will go more smoothly. Counterintuitively I do less pool maintenance now than I did with the "convient" frog, because I can see a potential bloom coming and nip it. Before I had to see green, then I dumped a bunch of powder in and hoped for the best.

So congrats on your decision, don't be afraid to ask questions here, and good luck!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did hear a little bit of something moving around in the mineral cartridge when I put it back in. I was thinking that since they said it had to be replaced every year, that it was already used up. Should I try to get what is in there out?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.