Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question on new attached spa design

1. Back To Top    #1

Question on new attached spa design

My wife and I are building a new house, and we're putting in a pool with an attached spillover spa. We have one in our current house, and I love it except for one thing. -- I would love to be able to heat up the spa and keep it heated without having to run the jets. So basically the way detached hot tubs work.

Is there any setup that accomplishes that?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question on new attached spa design

Are you saying that you want to keep the spa hot all the time? Or do you just want to be able to heat it up occasionally and not have the jets on?

For the latter, it is not uncommon to have a plumbing loop for circulation and filtration that runs on the main pump/filter/heater. And then have a second plumbing loop for the jets with a second pump that is only turned on when you want the jet action.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you saying that you want to keep the spa hot all the time? Or do you just want to be able to heat it up occasionally and not have the jets on?

For the latter, it is not uncommon to have a plumbing loop for circulation and filtration that runs on the main pump/filter/heater. And then have a second plumbing loop for the jets with a second pump that is only turned on when you want the jet action.
    This is how ours is plumbed. We have a separate function that activates a blower to turn the jets on otherwise the hot tub just heats up when in spa mode and stays at whatever temperature it's set to.
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't want the spa to stay hot all the time (that would cost a fortune). I want to be able to heat up the spa separate from the jet function, as cbink mentioned.

Cbink, can you explain in more detail how yours is plumbed? I've never seen that type of setup before, so I'm in the dark about how it would work.

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine is set up that way as well. I have two drains and something like 8 returns. Two of the returns and one of the drains go to the 3-way valves to the filter and heater. The others are plumbed to a dedicated pump that I never run. There are air holes in the floor of the spa that go to a blower that is on a separate switch. It seldom gets rum, either. Why heat a spa to blow cold air through it?

When we use the spa alone, I move the valves around so I draw from the spa and return to the pool and suck it down a few inches to allow for what we'll displace. Why heat it to let it spill into the pool? Then I set the valves to 100% spa in and out and turn on the heater. Twenty minutes later, it's usually ready to go. The two return jets churn the water up plenty and it feels great to sit in front of them and let the hot water pound your stiff back.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

This is the way most dual pump spas are plumbed:

Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Richard, are you saying that there are 8 return jets, two of which are used to heat and 6 are just jets? So is there no way to sit in a still hot tub?

My wife and I spent the weekend at a resort in New Mexico, and we were amazed by how nice it was sitting under the stars in a still hot tub, without the noise of the jets running constantly. That's what I'm trying to recreate.

Mark, thanks for the diagram. Very helpful.

8. Back To Top    #8

The 2 filtration/heater returns do not have the jets, they just circulate water like normal pool returns.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Drew80 View Post
    Richard, are you saying that there are 8 return jets, two of which are used to heat and 6 are just jets? So is there no way to sit in a still hot tub?

My wife and I spent the weekend at a resort in New Mexico, and we were amazed by how nice it was sitting under the stars in a still hot tub, without the noise of the jets running constantly. That's what I'm trying to recreate.

Mark, thanks for the diagram. Very helpful.
    Two are hooked to the main pump/filter/heater, the other six to the dedicated spa pump. So when only the filter and heater are on, only two returns are flowing, and they don't churn it up too bad. Once the water's hot, you can shut the heater and pump off if you want to just soak. I personally like the backmassage effect.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it. Thanks for the help.