Using more unions when plumbing pool equipment.

Has anyone here ever used either the "self-aligning" or the "swivel" type unions? If so, can you tell us how the self-aligning differs from the swivel type? Do either of these have any DISadvantages, like less reliability, compared to the regular unions?

Thanks,

Larry

I'm all in with unions, even to the point that if I cut pipe at a customer's house, I ALWAYS add in the cost of a new union. If they want to delete that part fine, but the next visit goes much smoother when there is a union, and you will save money in the long run that way.

I also carry a nitrile o-ring kit that has like 5 million o-rings in it, so if the union's o-ring is worn out or dried out, I can replace it for $.50. I rarely have leaks there that a little lube won't fix. The big thing I run into is that the homeowners don't realize that there is an o-ring and it gets lost.:confused:

Unions also make plumbing EASY. If you end up a quarter inch off, usually the pipe can be pushed into place, and the union tightend to make a secure connection.

The cost difference is made up the very next time I service that component.

Moose, same here with the box of mass O-rings...comes in handy.

I have never seen or even heard of the self-aligning. As Moose says, if its a hair off there is always enough play that it will go together. So I would venture to guess that all unions are self aligning if you can get the nut started.

I was finally able to take a look at the "self aligning" type from Waterway (400-5090). It's still a flat connection, like a regular union, but it has a bevel on the outer edge of the connecting surface that centers the two sides when you pull them together. From what I can tell, I think that this would help get the threads caught a bit easier if the pipes weren't aligned quite right, and would force the sides to center up as it was tightened. For situations where the pipes were really misaligned, the "Swivel" type would be better since these literally allow the pipe to be pointed in a slightly different direction (I believe that the Waterway version -- 400-4481 -- allows up to 18 degrees of tilt.)

I'd still love to hear from anyone with experience in using the swivel type -- i.e. do they seal just as well, etc.?

Larry

My Hayward EC 75 DE filter was bought as a kit with a base stand, SuperPump and special L union fitting with a swivel ball socket style mating surface like these swivel unions have and I never had a problem with it (I am no longer using it since switching to a Jandy pump a year or two ago)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.