Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Payment Plan Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Payment Plan Question

Regarding the payment plan, is it standard to require final payment on the day that the pool is plastered?

I read here (and completely agree) that we should reserve final payment until the pool is completely finished. To me, filled and all equipment working would be completely finished but one potential PB looked at me like I was crazy.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Columbia SC

Re: Payment Plan Question

Hhhhmmmmm. I don't remember how we did it. I know we made two payments to our builder. 50% up front and 50% upon completion. Ours was an an dependant pool builder and not a large company and we loved his service. I'm thinking we paid the final payment after he had the concrete decking put in (about a month after the pool was filled?). I just don't recall for sure.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

He may look at you like you're crazy, but you're not. You may not be able to get much (<10%) as a final payment, but it's worth standing your ground on it.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

As a builder the contract is written by lawyers to appease lawyers. I don't budge since it sets a legal precedent that can come back to bite me. In my contract here it says once the homeowner gets in the pool that constitutes the pool as finished, and all payments are due.
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics

5. Back To Top    #5

Miami, FL

Every pool builder we spoke to had the final payment due after pool is plastered. I questioned this and no one would budge on it. One pool builder was willing to change it to after final inspection. I wonder if anyone has been able to negotiate a change in payment schedule and how they did it. I wasn't able to.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

6. Back To Top    #6

Orlando, FL

We are just starting to build ours. Our final payment is due when the pool is completed and they have walked us through their initial pool school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    G. Dickens / Central Florida
    New'ish pool owner (built in 2014)
    12k concrete lap pool with swim-jet, 3hp pump

7. Back To Top    #7

Oklahoma City

My PB agreed to 7 equal payments: after dig, after steel/plumb, after gunite, after tile/coping, after decking, after equip on pad, and after plastered/filled. Any problems later should be covered under warranty. IMHO, the money should not get ahead of the work but the opposite seems to be the norm in the pool building world. It's all negotiable but some PB will not discuss. I waited until I found one that would.
    IG gunite Edmond, OK(OKC), 18x36 freeform ~20K, 4-8' deep, Pentair equip, (2) 3hp VS+ pump, 520 cart filter, 3 LED, Easytouch8, ItellichlorIC40 SWG, Polaris 3900 cleaner, Spa 8'x18"raised, 20' raised bond beam 2 sheers, Stonescape Tahoe Blue quartz plaster, TF-100 kit.
    Feb. 25, 2014 dig started, May 24, 2014 filled.

8. Back To Top    #8
    South Florida

Same here. We scheduled pmts according to work being done, much like flatlander explains above and negotiated a final pmt of 15% upon completion, but we are also building 3 pools with the same builder (no me directly but 2 of my friends as well). We all narrowed down our favorite PB and then picked one we would all go with. Our pmt schedule is as follows

10% Mobilization Deposit
    20% upon completion of excavation
    25% upon completion of concrete Shell
    10% upon completion of coping and tile
    20% upon completion of deck
    15% upon completion of work