Pool Cleaner - Replace the complete hose assy?

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
Polaris….380 I believe…
Is it possible for the hose assembly over time to lose its flexibility or develop a permanent bend such that the cleaner wants to stay in one half of the pool only or get stuck in a corner going nowhere? The cleaner is 14 yrs. old…..yes folks I know..….’time to get a new one, you probably squeak when you walk’. But the frame is still ok and every other part is serviceable. Actually I had to repair the frame a few years ago with the top off a Vaseline jar and some plumbers glue but that’s another story. Before I reach deep into my trouser pocket and ferret around for the 600 or so for a new cleaner I’m thinking of buying some new tubing and see what that does….or possibly I can lay the current tubing out and see if it is twisted out of shape. I’ll check the other parts, float, back up valve etc. which have over the years been replaced, but was wondering if anyone had ever seen improvements with replacing the hose assembly. At the moment she is next to useless at cleaning the pool.
Thanks

I think the smaller the part the higher the markup! After looking at the price of the parts, the whole assembly for $109 seemed a good deal. The three swivels were almost half that cost when bought alone -- and I am good at finding online prices.

A full check up may be a good idea. They found a few bearings that needed to be replaced, I know we had done some ourselves the year before but I have no records of which were and were not done then. Easy to assume that any we missed failed shortly afterwards. We also found the pressure disk was missing, apparently lost while the Polaris was out of the pool for the re-plastering. And finally, the new hose gave us a chance to re-evaluate the hose length which always seemed to me to be a bit short. The new hose is 6 or 12 inches longer and that seems better.

We also splurged on a silt bag which made all the difference in getting the dust and sand that comes off the waterfall. The whole pool looks great now. The prior regular bag did not catch a lot of sand and we were afraid the pool plaster was damaged it was weirdly discolored in the deep end. Glad to see that this bag holds the fine stuff.

Thanks all, I appreciate the responses. It's always nice to sound out the views of other owners. I'm going to first check the hose out of the pool and see if I can keep the old girl running with new parts / hoses. Maybe a hair drier on the hose if it is twisted may help? Don't know yet but I'm going to see if I can improve it's cleaning qualities before giving up the ghost.
Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Yikes...one of the posters in 2008 had a cleaner that was 20 years old, so mine is still a relative youngster. I was hoping to get some sort of award for the worlds oldest "functioning" ( I use the word lightly) Polaris. It seems not.
Thanks!
I'm running into similar problems and was thinking about replacing my hoses. When I was researching last month, I ran across these threads which made me think new hoses might help the cleaner's performance:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/7986-Polaris-Hose-Replacement-Options

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/67951-Polaris-hose-getting-tangled

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/71137-The-joy-of-taking-the-Polaris-in-for-a-check-up

Update, I decided after reading the links posted to just get a new hose assy. Found a link to Amazon and ordered from there. After 14 years the hoses must be brittle and I had noticed that in winter the cleaner isn't as mobile, lots of hose twisting and general lack of movement.
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
...........previous link comment..........I was not aware that the leader hose is a different material that the feeder hose. Like you Drew my hose is all the same. I found this link on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-D50-10-Fee ... eader+hose

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.