Newbie Needs Input or suggestions please help

Apr 5, 2014
New York
Hello All, so this is my first post on a forum ever. so please bear with me.

Me and my wife bought our first home last year, had an inground swimming pool of course when we did the inspection everything was 100%. but when we went to open it after we closed on the house liner was ripped in the corner.

So this year were having the liner replaced ($2,400) (14x32 rectangular pool), but we have no built in stairs they have that wedding cake type of stairs inserted(ugly unsafe and may ruin my new liner). So after talking to the pool contractor about adding stairs he suggested adding metal stairs to the inside corner of the pool ($2,300).

The pool is however 24 years old and is made of metal, my concern is, is it even worth putting the stairs for that much money or just skip it because of the age of pool.

Were also considering changing the coping so we can install pavers around the pool ($700), since the old coping is made for one of those electronic covers (doesn't work at all)

I'm really new to the swimming pool thing :confused:, so I really would appreciate any help or insight anyone can give me please.
Also I am located in NY.

My pool is much the same, in ground vinyl liner pool 35 years old, originally only had 2 ladders, drop in steps added after the last liner change 10 years ago. (no issue with them wearing through the liner). Overall I would say the drop in steps I have as functional, but them do have a slight amount of give. Next time the liner is changed I plan to look at doing something else step wise, just for appearance reasons. In my opinion age of a pool should play no part in decisions to maintain it, I had the then 33 year old roof over mine replaced 2 years ago, added 20 new indirect water proof florescent light fixtures, and still need to replace all the windows, and most of the doors, but that will probably wait another year.

Ike

So what does everyone think should i change it and spend the $2300 on the built in stairs on my 25 year old pool, or stick with my drop in stairs. I'm just concerned that after spending this extra $2300 they dont last. and also is $2300 a fair price, its going to be corner mounted extending 7 feet on each side.

I wouldn't think age of the pool would dictate what you do unless the walls are simply corroding away. I presume you are talking about the vinyl liner going over the steel stairs. That does look nicer in the pictures I have seen. I have never had it done, but it seems to me when you consider the cost of fabricating the steel stairs, installing them, and also the increased liner cost that $2300 is probably a fair price. The $2400 for just the liner seems like a fair price as well. If it were me, I would go ahead and get the steel steps.

Sargent thanks for the reply, yes they are vynel over steps the cost for steps alone is $2300 as you said the the liner cost is $2400 they arent going to increase the liner cost on me to put th esteps. so total of $4700, plus 700 coping plus brick work( not sure yet im estimating $2300 from what i read online for my size pool)

Yippeeskippy, thanks i thought about it, but honestly i don't know how old it is or anything about it and read online that there not really helpful in the winter in NY so didnt want to shell the money on repair or even looking at it lol. (but i will keep the tracks just in case i do fix or replace it in the future.

Another question, my pool is currently full so the PB told me that they have to come empty it and install the steps and measure and leave it empty until the liner arrives is that safe? also would it be reasonable to ask them that before installing the stairs to inspect the walls so if there in bad shape i don't have to pay for the stairs (there prefabbed but the PB has to buy them from a warehouse are they allowed to return them?)

hi everybody, ok do I decided not to do the stairs. So the PB was here yesterday dropped the pump off to pump out my pool overnight. and they came here this morning to measure for the new liner.

While he was looking he said that he suggests i get new foam because it looks like the foam i have has mold growing on it from exposure to water. and that might seep through the liner (is this true?). so anyway I asked how much and its $700 is this a reasonable price for a 14/32 IG pool. please help i looked it up online and materials max is $200 for the foam, am i being taken on this.

So far i have Liner (2400), coping (700), and now foam (700).

Please please help me out I'm new to this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
bluskies21, it was the extra $2300. just didn't have it in the budget honestly.

any insight on my other questions.

- - - Updated - - -

bluskies21, it was the extra $2300. just didn't have it in the budget honestly.

any insight on my other questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.