Need advice - changing pipe size

macgus

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 21, 2012
Hi,

Just bought a new Waterway 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. I am thinking about changing out my 1.5" piping from the 2 supplies to pump to 2" from the supply tee coming out of ground to the pump (approx 4'). Also, change the 1.5" return to 2" to my 2-1.5" tee returns. Is there any benefit in doing this in terms of more flow and/or pressure?

Yes, increasing the pipe size will improve the flow rate. The amount of improvement depends on how much pipe you replace. If you only replace a few feet you will only see a small improvement. If you will be working on that section of pipe anyway then it is essentially always worth upgrading from 1 1/2" to 2". If you are doing this just to improve efficiency then it is usually only worth it if you can replace a long run of pipe.

I agree, it is usually not worth the effort unless you are replacing a piece of equipment. Also, keep in mind, that energy use goes up with lower head loss/higher low rate so to take advantage of this increase in efficiency, you must reduce run time or your power bill may go up a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.