Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need advice - changing pipe size

1. Back To Top    #1

Need advice - changing pipe size

Just bought a new Waterway 1.5 hp 2-speed pump. I am thinking about changing out my 1.5" piping from the 2 supplies to pump to 2" from the supply tee coming out of ground to the pump (approx 4'). Also, change the 1.5" return to 2" to my 2-1.5" tee returns. Is there any benefit in doing this in terms of more flow and/or pressure?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Need advice - changing pipe size

Yes, increasing the pipe size will improve the flow rate. The amount of improvement depends on how much pipe you replace. If you only replace a few feet you will only see a small improvement. If you will be working on that section of pipe anyway then it is essentially always worth upgrading from 1 1/2" to 2". If you are doing this just to improve efficiency then it is usually only worth it if you can replace a long run of pipe.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pleasanton, CA

Re: Need advice - changing pipe size

I agree, it is usually not worth the effort unless you are replacing a piece of equipment. Also, keep in mind, that energy use goes up with lower head loss/higher low rate so to take advantage of this increase in efficiency, you must reduce run time or your power bill may go up a little.
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner