Post winter close issues - main drain

Apr 7, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,
I may have made a bad mistake when closing the pool for winter.:(
I drained the return lines and the skimmer line ok but had troubles with the main drain. I was able to blow the water back (from the pump to the drain) a little ways, but no where near all the way then quickly closed it off. My (incorrect thinking) at the time was that the main drain line would have run far enough underground and that I "pushed" the water back enough that it would be below the frost. But, now I realize this probably isn't correct.

Now that the thaw has started I'm worried that the line may have cracked or ruptured due to the freeze. Now I'm anxiously waiting for the thaw. My question is, if the main drain line does start to leak, is there a way to plug it (temporarily) without going in the pool (too **** cold right now)?

Thanks
Tim.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Did you put a plug in the floor drain? Did the pool freeze solid?

If the answer to both of these is no, then I think the pool would have shown a leak by now ... unless the top is frozen and the bottom is empty (as one member found this year).

Thanks for the welcome and the quick input!
No plug in the floor drain.
Nope, didn't freeze solid. (The drain is about 7 feet down). The top 1.5 feet froze......and if the bottom is empty...I think I'm divorced!
Part of my concern is that the pump is about 3 to 4 feet below the surface level of the pool...so there is always pressure for the water to drain.

The odds are that you will be fine. It is nearly impossible to completely drain a main drain. The procedure you describe is essentially what we recommend, except that I would add anti-freeze before blowing it down as far as possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.