New Member, New Pool, need pump/filter advice please

Mar 27, 2014
NC
Hello all, I'm gearing up for the upcoming season and recently purchased the Intex 22'x52' Ultra Frame. We had the 12' Intex ultra frame for the past couple of years. Last year I upgraded the pump to the Intex sand filter pump (1600) and it worked great. This year we are moving and have much more room hence the larger pool. I've been glued to the this forum for the past couple weeks and have gotten lots of ideas and mods that I plan to do. I want to do the through the wall skimmer, hard plumb with 1.5 pvc, and add a fountain for starters. I am also considering adding a solar heater.

With all of that said, I am trying to decide which pump and filter to go with. I almost ordered the Intex 2600 gph and still may but I wanted to get some opinions first. Will that pump be enough to handle everything I want to do? My other option is a used Hayward for sale on craigslist near me. It's a S-180T sand filter with a 1hp Power-Flo LX pump for $250.

Anything else I should look at?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jeff

First off, welcome to TFP. The gang here has been real helpful with my project on my simple 16' x 4' I have upgraded my intex pump (it had rusted up after being out in the elements for 2 years) replaced the sand filter, since I upgraded my pump. put a Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer on my pool, and hard plumbed everything with the exception of existing flex hoses from my skimmer ball valve and my return eyeball valve.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

For a pool that size, ideally you would have a sand filter that is at least 20" diameter, but the 18" Hayward would also work, just need to clean it a little more often.

For the pump, we have seen really good reviews for the Intex 2600 as a great improvement, but again, going with the Hayward 1HP would work well also ... although ideally, you would get a 1HP 2-speed pump so that you can run on low for filtering and save money on electricity.

Actually there have been quite a few recent threads discussing equipment for AG pools, although the ones I am thinking of are for 27' pools ... generally as far as combos go, you want the largest filter and the smallest pump.

I have no idea how the prices run, so not sure how good of a deal that Hayward setup is.

Just as a ballpark, I got via Amazon, the Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, for under $300 with shipping. I picked up my 1.5hp Hayward pump locally here in Hampton Roads, Virginia for $340. I also got my Thru-Wall Skimmer locally here for under $50.

Thanks for the info guys. Been researching this afternoon and I think the Hayward setup I would like to get (1hp 2speed with a bigger sand filter as recommended), is a bit out of the budget. I think I am going to give the Intex 2650 a shot this year and see how it does. If I need to, I can upgrade it next year. The more I thought about the used one, the more it made me nervous so at least this way I'll have a warranty.

Thanks again for the info!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.