Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sequestering agent for IG pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Sequestering agent for IG pool

I just had our IG pool refinished.The company warranties stains as long as you keep a 10-12 ppm seqestering agent in the water.They suggested to use jacks magic blue stuff.My question is I understand that these sequestering agents add phosphates to the water.My phosphates are pretty high from the source water(about 1000 ppb).If I keep the agent up to the recommendation Im worring about a algae outbreak with so much phosphate in the water and still adding more.What would you suggest I do?Add the agent and monitor phosphates and then add a phosphate remover.I keep the chlorine about 6 with the cya at 50.I tested for nitrates and have 0 nitrates.Thanks
    7500 Gallon IG Pool-Stayrite 3/4hp Max-E-Pro pump,Stayrite Modular DE 48 sq ft filter,Heat Siphon 5 hp digital heat pump,Hayward Navigator,Jandy valves and Poolpilot total control system.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Sequestering agent for IG pool

You really don't need to worry about the phosphate level. My pool has a phosphate level of well above 4,000 and I don't have problems with it. Very low phosphate levels can help prevent algae, but normal chlorine levels will do that anyway even with phosphates.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School