Newbie swg questions

Cpool

Oct 30, 2013
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi guys, I am a current bbb method user and have been for atleast 6-7 months. I have a pool with around 32,000 gallons and am finding that it is tough to keep up with bleach and am considering a swg instead of chlorine tablets. I have several questions...

In the case of my pool I feel a swg will save me money over tablets and possibly bleach...although some say it won't. Is this true?

If I get a swg capable of super chlorination will I still need to purchase shock?

Finally, what units do y'all recommend?

Thank you in advance.

SWGs and bleach can go either way on total costs, with either one coming out a bit more expensive depending on quite a number of things. In general you shouldn't buy one counting on cost savings.

If you need to shock/SLAM the pool then you will want to add chlorine manually, in addition to the chlorine produced by the SWG. The SLAM process requires that the FC level go up very quickly, something no SWG can do.

CircuPool is proving very popular this year because of their excellent pricing, but they are selling a new model without any real usage history so we don't know how reliable they will be. AquaRite is a very solid mid-range unit. And AutoPilot is my favorite of the high end units.

Not to mention that Shock Dichlor and Tabs Trichlor create another problem over time (Excessive CYA). Cost savings wasn't a factor in my purchasing a SWG, it was more the not being too concerned on my pool running out of FC while I'm gone for a week or two. Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me too well the last week due to a capacitor failing on my pump motor. My FC was still 4 ppm so I should have my SWG producing Chlorine this afternoon or tomorrow at the latest (crossing my fingers) ;)

Ok I understand. Thanks, I am making a decision based on money unfortunately. I purchased a home with this pool and I love it, I'm just trying to afford keeping it up lol! I don't mind making the investment for salt but if in the end it is more costly than I would rather go another route.

Based on your knowledge, which is a cheaper option? I know there are so many factors to take in to consideration but what is your best guess? 35,000 gallons using Bleach, tablets, or swg? I don't have a lot of trees around it but I live in Louisiana and the pool gets a ton of sun.

If you pay attention, shop carefully, and water doesn't cost too much (trichlor tablets require regular water replacement), all three come out about the same cost. What really matters is keeping track of the pool and making sure things don't get out of hand. That is much much easier to do with a good test kit, and also requires regular attention. You also want to avoid unneeded chemicals/treatments often pushed by pool stores.

Well, put it this way. We get lots of sun here in SC too-- not as much as in LA. Last year during the summer, we were using a 96oz bottle of 8.25 % bleach/day. @ $3 per bottle, that's $90 per month. With my swg, I've been told to expect to throw in a 40lb bag of salt every couple months. Do the math, figure $700 divided by 48 months for your monthly cost. As to shocking/ slamming, that would be minimized if you keep a balanced pool. (Which you need to do regardless of your chlorine source). You're choices should really be between bleach and a swg. Tabs and shock will cost you much more in the long run in my limited experience.

Ok I see. Timer guy, that is also how much bleach I was using possibly more. When I did the math I was looking at around $100 mth for just bleach. If that's the case I'm on my way to $1000 a year. At the cost of the circupool units I don't see how I could spend near that yearly over a 48-36 month period with a swg.

Thanks again for the help. I have decided to purchase either the accupool si45 or i was considering the Jandy aqua pure ei system. I was looking at the Jandy system simply bc it is $488.00 online. I would like to purchase either tonight so any help asap is greatly appreciated.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well i purchased the circupool si45 plus. Although i am wondering if the extra $70 for the plus was worth it. Anyone running the plus cell? Ive heard its fairly new but just wondering if i should change my order back to the si45 and not the plus.

That cell is just supposed to last longer ... although right now, if you need to replace the cell, you would have to get a regular one as there are not "plus" replacements I don't think.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.