DIY Outdoor Bluetooth Speakers

Sep 22, 2011
Hi everyone,

I wanted to add some speakers for my backyard patio/pool area. I had a stereo receiver inside my family room and I ran a speaker wire outback to power two outdoor Bose speakers. This setup has a couple of disadvantages, mostly the volume control. I'd have to set the volume inside, and then go outside only to find it was either too low and I couldn't hear it, or blasting me out of my chair. Also, because it was the same receiver used for my home theater, you couldn't watch something inside and listen to music outside.

I started searching for outdoor speakers that were Bluetooth enabled. Surprisingly, I didn't really find anything. Mostly all such speaker systems were designed to be wireless, so you'd have to charge the speaker inside and then bring it outside. I have a enough devices in my life that need to be charged, so I didn't want to have to remember the charge the speaker before using it. Also, brining it outside every time I wanted to listen to music was sort of a PIA too. Basically, I wanted something hardwired, that would be ready and waiting when I got outside, so all I'd have to do is pickup my phone and push play.

Here's what I came up with... It's actually pretty simple. It uses a cheap 20 watt, two channel amplifier, connected to a small Bluetooth module. I put everything in a water-tight enclosure and ran a 15 amp receptacle into the box to power it all. I then connected my existing speakers and viola! A Bluetooth speaker system that is always on and ready to play music.

For the power, I tapped an existing outlet and just ran conduit down into the ground and then up into the new box. I installed the enclosure under an overhang, to keep water from hitting it directly.

Here's what I used:

Amp: $18.49 (free shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...cs&ie=UTF8&qid=1396980800&sr=1-1&keywords=amp

Enclosure box: ($16.63)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAU5D5W/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bluetooh receiver ($18.99)
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492...d=1396980964&sr=8-2&keywords=belkin+bluetooth

You also need some indoor/outdoor speakers. I went with Bose that I got from BJ's. They were ridiculously expensive (I think $169 for the pair) and don't sound that good. I'd definitely search for some $20 speakers if I had to do it again.

Here's some pictures:

Here's the amp and the outlet box inside the enclosure:

20140405_150855_zps6a43c7c9.jpg

Here's everything mounted and wired up. I just used double-sided tape to attach the bluetooth reciever to the door of the enclosure box:

20140405_155842_zpsd90ecf8f.jpg

Here's the outlet I tapped for the A/C to the new enclosure:

20140405_155811_zpsd74c714f.jpg

Here's the conduit I ran down, into the ground, and back up into the enclsoure:

20140405_155816_zps278e8b96.jpg

Here's the end-result:

20140406_100252_zpse7c1cd83.jpg

20140406_100248_zps3aa6704a.jpg

Best to host the pictures on a site like Photobucket and post links to them here.

There was a thread a few years ago that sounds like they did the same thing ... I think the amp and bluetooth module was under $75.

I'll try to do that... sites like Photobucket are blocked from my work though... The parts I used were:

Amp: $18.49 (free shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/LP-2020A-Lepa...cs&ie=UTF8&qid=1396980800&sr=1-1&keywords=amp

Enclosure box: ($16.63)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAU5D5W/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bluetooh receiver ($18.99)
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F8Z492...d=1396980964&sr=8-2&keywords=belkin+bluetooth

You also need some indoor/outdoor speakers. I went with Bose that I got from BJ's. They were ridiculously expensive (I think $169 for the pair) and don't sound that good. I'd definitely search for some $20 speakers if I had to do it again.

Kevin

Yup, Bose are overpriced and low quality ... they spend too much money on advertising and not on product development.

I got a pair of Polk Atrium 5outdoor speakers that sound great for a little less than the price yours were (they were on some crazy sale).

Yeah, I figured I splurge and go with the Bose on a whim... Once I hooked them up, I realized they sounded like ****. Maybe I'm being too hard... they don't really sound bad, but they don't sound like I would expect for $169. The good thing is they can handle a lot of volume without distorting or bottoming out. Definitely not worth the money though.

Yes... that's the best part. Once you have paired your device, the volume is controlled via the device. I just set the volume of the amplifier inside the box so it's a comfortable listening volume when the volume on my phone is about 50%.

Good luck!

BTW, I replied to your message, but I'm not sure it went through... Regarding the speaker wires, I just ran them out the back of the box and behind the siding. They were actually already ran from when I had these speakers hooked up to my home theater amp inside.

The sound quality is good with the bluetooth, but my Bose speakers don't sound that great. The range is supposed to be 30 feet and I'd say I get that with this set up. I did read reviews on the adapter that said you should open it up and remove a piece of metal that's designed to give it some weight. I did that last year before I built this set up, so I'm not sure what the range would be if I left the little piece of metal inside the adapter.

Also, you could always run the wires for the bluetooth receive outside of the box and mount the receiver on the bottom of the enclosure. That may make the range a little better, but I don't think the thin plastic of the enclosure hinders the signal too much.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent set-up and love the price! Thanks for posting on my thread. I'm really disappointed in my speakers as well; glad I spent only $40.

Thanks... I was looking at the speakers you have to add another set closer to my pool. You're not happy with the sound? They seemed to get pretty good reviews on the website.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info...I already have that same amp powering some cheap Dual outdoor speakers using my Sony MP3 player with RCA plugs in back and it works great...so I may just have to give this bluetooth a try. Would be nice to use my phone instead of having to make sure the MP3 player is always charged, etc.

Thanks... I was looking at the speakers you have to add another set closer to my pool. You're not happy with the sound? They seemed to get pretty good reviews on the website.

I bought them refurbished/used and one is already blown; but while it seemed to be working normally, they just don't have the umpph I was looking for. Bass was certainly lacking, but then again, I'm comparing to my Polk Atrium5's.

Hi Jim,

Yes, my setup is always on. You could install a switch and mount it on the side or bottom of the box. My box is tucked away behind some bushes, so I can't reach it to switch it off and on. Also, I like that it's always on, so when I go outside I can just start streaming right from my phone without having to turn anything on or off. The only downside is sometimes my phone is connected to the bluetooth and I don't know it. Last night, I was laying in bed and went to watch a video on my phone. Unbeknownst to me, I was still connected to the outside speakers and I heard the sound blasting through my bedroom window. :laughblue:

If you go with this type of setup, you may consider mounting it somewhere away from the house so you're not connected when you're inside.

Regarding the speakers, depending on the ohms and power rating, you should be able to run two speakers from each channel. There's a few different ways to wire it. You should google it to make sure youre doing it according to your speaker specifications. Most of the time, you can wire them in parallel:

2_4ohm_svc_2ohm.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.