Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor Speaker Recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor Speaker Recommendations

I am looking to purchase a pair of outdoor speakers for our pool deck that will be hooked up to a Denon AVR1613 receiver. The speakers I'm looking at are:

Dual LU43PB Indoor/Outdoor Speakers
    Monoprice 106970 3-1/4-Inch 30W Nominal and 60W Max 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Pair Speakers
    Monoprice 106971 5-1/4-Inch 40W Nominal and 80W Max 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Pair Speakers
    Pyle Home PDWR40B 5.25-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Black)
    Pyle Home PDWR50B 6.5-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Black)
    Pyle Home PDWR50B 6.5-Inch Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Speakers (Black)

Ideally I'd like to keep the price under $50. Thanks!
    Wil-Bar 27'x54" Quest AGP
    Hayward 1HP Powerflo Pump
    Hayward 256 T Swimpro Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor Speaker Recommendations

I personally would stay away from the Duals.....reviews on amazon complain of rust within months.

I just purchased the yamahas from amazon....$70 for the pair. Mounting options stink for ceiling mount...but wall mount is good. Reviews are good and free shipping.

No comment on sound quality as I still to wire them up.

I like monoprice for a lot of stuff...I just don't like the added shipping cost.

Fiberglass Caged Pool Circa 1995
    15' x 32' - 16k Gallons
    Central, FL
    Hayward Cartridge Filter System

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks TikiTime. I can get the Monoprice 106971 5-1/4-Inch 40W Nominal and 80W Max 2-Way Indoor/Outdoor Waterproof Pair Speakers on Amazon for $66.58 (free shipping) or the Yamaha NS-AW150W 2-Way Outdoor Speakers for $69.95. Which do you think is the better speaker?

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-AW15...tdoor+speakers
    http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-1069...tdoor+speakers

4. Back To Top    #4

I have monoprice ceiling speakers inside my house and really like them alot.

I think the outdoor ones were on backorder..or came in black only so I opted for the yamahas.

15' x 32' - 16k Gallons
    Central, FL

5. Back To Top    #5

Actually now that I am home and had a chance to look.......I decided against the Monoprice speakers because they have an odd proprietary connection on the back of them. So I stuck with the Yamaha's which are the highest rated at a reasonable price.
    15' x 32' - 16k Gallons
    Central, FL

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Tiki. Can the Yamahas be swiveled? I want to be able to point them toward the pool when people are swimming and then toward the yard (opposite direction) when not. Is it easy to unhook the speakers (for example to store them for winter)?

7. Back To Top    #7

They are easy to remove for winter storage.

With included hardware they tilt. If you add a $3 part from home depot or lowes...they will also swivel. The part is made by Bell...In electrical section...and is used for flood lights...I did not use them as I did not need them to swivel...just tilt.

15' x 32' - 16k Gallons
    Central, FL

8. Back To Top    #8

Anyone have experience with Outdoor Speaker Depot speakers? Was going to order a pair of the AP650s...

I have some cheap Duals now, they don't sound too bad and they were cheap but am wanting to upgrade the sound quality.
    No rust with mine by the way but they are under cover.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

9. Back To Top    #9

I have the same receiver I bought a pair of Klipsch AW650's they sound great beside the pool I bought them refurbished on eBay.
    18'x36' inground vinyl liner.Pentair Sand Filter SD-60, Pentair EastTouch IC40 Salt Gen.
    Pentair Legend Cleaner. Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp pump. Color LED pool light.
    Taylor K-2006 (FAS-DPD) w/ SpeedStir. Pool Built October 2013.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ck out definitive tech

Jeeper
    18 by 36 mountain lake, swg aqua plus, cartgidge filter, two speed tristar 1hp, 1hp super pump for deck jet n waterfall, espio alarm, aquabot jr, Definitive Tech Aw6500 speakers, Onkyo receiver

11. Back To Top    #11

The definitive tech speakers look awesome and the reviews are good but couldn't bring myself to let loose of $400 for a pair (although I see they are on sale at Crutchfield and best buy right now for $159 each/$318 pair).
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:

12. Back To Top    #12

I bought the Yamaha NS-AW294WH Indoor/Outdoor 2-Way Speakers from amazon for $117 shipped. They get real good reviews and resist weather damage extremely well. I plan on powering them off the zone B of my new Yamaha RX-V775 receiver. Should have it all setup by Saturday, so I'll let you know how it comes out.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

13. Back To Top    #13

I would stay away from anything Pyle. They are very cheap speakers. I would go with a marine grade outdoor speaker Yamaha is good. Have you thought about a green speaker? I heard these from Bose are pretty good. (although Im not a bose fan)
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

14. Back To Top    #14

I have the Dual speakers and they work great. They have the ability to swivel left to right so you can point them where ever you want. I've had them a few years and they grill does start to rust after awhile. A quick spray with black rustoleum and they're good for another few years. For the price, they can't be beat. In the attached picture you can see them while I was installing them after I finished building my pergola...

Image-1524135-211367852-2-WebLarge_0_ad582e116f66d9ce3750d73fbac46aad_1.jpg

15. Back To Top    #15

I have a pair of patio speakers from Outdoor Speaker Depot that sound good and have held up great. I plan to purchase some more from OSD along with a higher power amp and speaker selector with separate volume controls once out bath house is in.

18x36 Vinyl, sports depth, 8' Roman steps at each end. Hayward 1.5hp 2speed pump, catridge filter, 2 skimmers, no main drain, 3 SR Smith Treo LED lights

16. Back To Top    #16

So I received my speakers at 4:45pm from the FEDEX man on Saturday, and within 5 minutes I was already out back installing them. These speakers are fairly large for an outdoor speaker with their 6.5" mids and overall 12" wide mounting bracket. Since my pool is located 25-30 ft from the speaker mounting location, I needed something that could project the sound. These Yamaha's accomplish great sound all the way up to my pool with no issues, and even have a nice amount of bass if the song requires it. So overall, I'm very impressed with them and since they are mounted under a covered patio roof, I imagine they should last a long time.

But... I think the best part of my install was the addition of the new Yamaha RX-V775 receiver. The features that come with receiver make the whole outdoor music experience an easy one. First, I can watch TV inside the house and play music outside at the same time from just about any source I want. That includes listening through AIRPLAY, Pandora, Rapsody, Spodify, internet radio, built in tuner, or even streamed music from a phone, tablet or computer. I can also switch it to party mode and play the same music inside as well. Another feature which I'll enjoy is being able to watch TV inside and watch the same show outside from the second HDMI output on the amplifier. Oh yeah, did I mention the Yamaha AV app for my phone and tablets is awesome! I was planning on installing an outdoor volume control, but don't even need to, because I can control the receiver from anywhere on my property where wifi is available. So adjusting the volume is as easy picking up my cell phone.

Tomorrow I'll take some better shots...

Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

17. Back To Top    #17

Nice looking speakers. They blend in well with the patio roof. Sounds like a really nice set up you have.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by rodog123 View Post
    I would stay away from anything Pyle. They are very cheap speakers. I would go with a marine grade outdoor speaker Yamaha is good. Have you thought about a green speaker? I heard these from Bose are pretty good. (although Im not a bose fan)

I've seen these at various amusement parks. They sound good but the price is tough to chew when you can get similar ones a t a fraction of the price. I did the TIC ones seen below. I've seen these in amusement parks as well. I;ve had mine for a full season now and they held up great throughtout the brutal winter we just had.

2012 (late install) 20x40 inground Oasis steel pool with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter with Whisper Flow 1HP pump and Pentair 400K BTU heater.
    2016 Marquis Promise Spa (2 pump model)

19. Back To Top    #19

I sucked it up and bought the Definitive Tech AW5500 since they were on sale. I should get them today, I will post once they are installed.

What did you end up getting pmsmith?
    Blaine

My pool build:

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by bpricedo View Post
    I sucked it up and bought the Definitive Tech AW5500 since they were on sale. I should get them today, I will post once they are installed.

What did you end up getting pmsmith?

My neighbor has those on his back deck. Probably the best sounding outdoor speakers I've heard so far. Very loud, great bass and, more importantly, very clear sounding.
    2012 (late install) 20x40 inground Oasis steel pool with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter with Whisper Flow 1HP pump and Pentair 400K BTU heater.
    2016 Marquis Promise Spa (2 pump model)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast