Saltron Retro Review

SuzyAbbott

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 29, 2011
Hamilton, NJ
I wanted a salt water generator that we could manage separately without having to run the pool filter all the time, after quite a bit of research we went with the saltron Retro salt water generator. We have a 24 x 54 round Sharkline Matrix above ground pool. Upon opening the package we found that it hangs over the wall rail UNDER the top rail. As those of you who have matrix pools know, none of these fit our pool. I rigged it up using bungees to hang over the top rim without any problem (it's light). Added 12 bags of salt and a gallon of liquid CYA and ran filter for 24 hours. Turned on the retro and it immediately started generating chlorine. I set it for 6 hours/day since the pool's still only 55 degrees. It's really easy to use, no sound whatsoever and I stuck a strip where the chlorine comes out and it is generating. So far we're very happy! I love the fact that I can run it without requiring the main filter (we have a second intex filter on the solar heaters so that creates enough of a current for distribution and alot cheaper to run) and I can move it anywhere in the pool that we want. It's a great little unit that has the built-in timer and also lights that show the salt level. So, for those who don't want to spend several hundred dollars for a SWG I would recommend this as a less expensive option. If we get a couple of years out of it, we're still ahead of the game.

https://suzyabbott.shutterfly.com/27

here's a photo of it in our pool. You can see the small bungee on the inside rim holding the front down, on the outside we have 2 bungees going to a weight on the ground to keep it from flipping in. It's really light so no big deal.

Thanks for the description. Our Zodiac SWG seems to have gone and I came across the Saltron Retro by accident. I like the idea of it not requiring the pump to work. On the other hand the only way of controlling the chlorine level is via the timer. That is a slight negative as is the power cable to the cell running along the ground to the controller box. Still, it's significantly less expensive than any of the systems I've been looking at. Almost seems too good to be true.

Thanks for the description. Our Zodiac SWG seems to have gone and I came across the Saltron Retro by accident. I like the idea of it not requiring the pump to work. On the other hand the only way of controlling the chlorine level is via the timer. That is a slight negative as is the power cable to the cell running along the ground to the controller box. Still, it's significantly less expensive than any of the systems I've been looking at. Almost seems too good to be true.

It's worked really well for us and I have no complaints at all. I'm not sure why the timer piece is an issue once you get it set properly you pretty much don't change it unless you have a party with alot of people and want to bump it up, we had about 50 people over last week, so for the next 3 days I bumped it from 4 hours to 6 to give it a boost and then changed it back to 4, no problem at all. Power cord hasn't been an issue either, we have stone around out pool so when I set it up in the spring I bury the cord in the rock, easy to remove in the fall too! It really is too good to be true, zero issues, zero maintenance so far! Good luck!

It's worked really well for us and I have no complaints at all. I'm not sure why the timer piece is an issue once you get it set properly you pretty much don't change it unless you have a party with alot of people and want to bump it up, we had about 50 people over last week, so for the next 3 days I bumped it from 4 hours to 6 to give it a boost and then changed it back to 4, no problem at all. Power cord hasn't been an issue either, we have stone around out pool so when I set it up in the spring I bury the cord in the rock, easy to remove in the fall too! It really is too good to be true, zero issues, zero maintenance so far! Good luck!

Well I decided to go the path of least resistance and have a Hayward AquaRite unit installed. I thought about your reasons and you had me convinced regarding the timer and power chord. The Saltron was way more cost effective than the Hayward or Zodiac which was replaced after 10 years. It really came down between the Hayward and Saltron. Here are the reasons I, with some difficulty, decided on the Hayward.

1- The Hayward had a 3 year warranty and the pool people I deal with are great. They will worry about it for three years. The Saltron has a one year warranty and should anything happen to it parts would be tricky to get. Mind you the price almost makes it a disposable item.
2- We have a solar system on a roof and I keep the pump on in low speed. Works great, almost no power used but the output flow is low and this leads to 3
3- We have a Pool Python which has been a lifesaver due to pine trees in our yard. This attaches to the return water outlet. The Saltron from what I understand needs to be close to the return outlet and the water flow coming from the Pool Python at low pump speed may not have been suffice to to have the Saltron work effectively. I could be wrong though. The Pool Python is a surface type skimmer which does wonders keeping the pool free of needles, leaves, bugs ( not very tiny ones though).

I am keeping the Saltron in mind though. Should anything ever happen to the Hayward then I will jump to the Saltron, in part because I could easily handle the install.

I really do think this Saltron is a great idea. Almost too good to be true.

Philip

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.