Sep 11, 2013
PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi everyone,

I am a bran new pool owner. I live in Pittsburgh Pa. I own an above ground pool that is 52'' high and 18' across. It has a cartridge filter and a propane heater ( Hayward ).
My pool was installed on August 12, 2013 so I only got to use it about one month. My pool has a black cover that does not allow water to seep through, I am guessing
it does not allow sunlight through. I hear this is a good thing but I am getting tired of having to pump off the water. I am dying to open my pool for the first full summer.
any thoughts as to when the best time is to open my pool. It is a chlorine system. Any help with pool maintenance, terminology etc. (what is meant by a salt system) would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your input

Fran

The recommendation is to open before the pool water temp rises above 60°. As long as you wait until the air temperatures get above freezing, you can pretty much open whenever you want.

As to your other questions, you're best served by heading over to Pool School, the link is in the upper right corner of every page.

Fran, I am also very close to the Burgh and I just took the cover off my pool yesterday. I have a little bit of work to do but will be topping her off and starting the pump soon.

Read Pool School. You will learn so much!

A salt water system is based on using a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator). This is a device attached to your return plumbing that uses electricity to convert salt to chlorine. Salt is added to the pool water making it "salt water." Then the SWCG turns it in to chlorine instead of having to add liquid chlorine yourself.

I'm about to start checking my water temp, it's probably in the 40s right now. Most likely I will open at 55.

I also live in Pittsburgh and have an inground fiberglass pool . I will be opening it this weekend . you should keep the water circulating on the nights coming up that will be at or below 32 and watch for freezing in your pipes.if you have a gas heater as compared to a heat pump you will be able to heat the water to swimming temps on many days in April and May here . The night will cool it down quite a bit. I use ppg sustain chemicals system and am happy with that . Have fun

I'm just next door in Ohio. Opened my pool and hooked everything up yesterday and today. It was 81 degrees today but is supposed to be 28 Tuesday. So I'll be sure to keep that pump running. Now that it is ready to go I just need that water to warm up!!! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.