Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: when should i open my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

when should i open my pool

Hi everyone,

I am a bran new pool owner. I live in Pittsburgh Pa. I own an above ground pool that is 52'' high and 18' across. It has a cartridge filter and a propane heater ( Hayward ).
    My pool was installed on August 12, 2013 so I only got to use it about one month. My pool has a black cover that does not allow water to seep through, I am guessing
    it does not allow sunlight through. I hear this is a good thing but I am getting tired of having to pump off the water. I am dying to open my pool for the first full summer.
    any thoughts as to when the best time is to open my pool. It is a chlorine system. Any help with pool maintenance, terminology etc. (what is meant by a salt system) would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your input

Fran
    AG 18 feet accross 52" high pool wall 7000 gallons .... pool math = 7600
    Hayward extreme cartridge filter 100sq feet
    pool is heated by propane Hayward heater
    pool installed aug 12 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: when should i open my pool

The recommendation is to open before the pool water temp rises above 60. As long as you wait until the air temperatures get above freezing, you can pretty much open whenever you want.

As to your other questions, you're best served by heading over to Pool School, the link is in the upper right corner of every page.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I agree. Get all the information you can before starting any process when it comes to your pool. As for the time to open it doesn't really matter. I have pools on service that want opened in feb-march just so its there and ready to be used.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Fran! I'm also in Pittsburgh, and a first-time pool owner. So excited to get this season going and get my butt in the pool!

5. Back To Top    #5

Fran, I am also very close to the Burgh and I just took the cover off my pool yesterday. I have a little bit of work to do but will be topping her off and starting the pump soon.

Read Pool School. You will learn so much!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Ha I am am from pittsburgh as well. Just started the TFPM! this will be the first season.

Lots of yinzers around
    In Ground 35k Gallon
    36 Sq Ft Nautilus NS DE Filter
    Location Pittsburgh PA
    Aquabot Turbo T2 Cleaner
    Vinyl Liner (new in 2016)

7. Back To Top    #7

A salt water system is based on using a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator). This is a device attached to your return plumbing that uses electricity to convert salt to chlorine. Salt is added to the pool water making it "salt water." Then the SWCG turns it in to chlorine instead of having to add liquid chlorine yourself.

I'm about to start checking my water temp, it's probably in the 40s right now. Most likely I will open at 55.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]