Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Skimmer box

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Skimmer box

I have a customer the called because I could not pump out his pool, when I got there took me a couple of minutes to figure it out, his skimmer box was approximately 8" x 36" x 30" with 2 1.5" hose fittings at one end.
    One of the fittings was plumbed to the pools main drain, the other was going to pump suction side, I have never seen a skimmer box like this, something was missing there, I told him I could put in a 3 way valve.
    My question is do any of you have a setup like this, that does have a valve, if so can you post a picture?
    I know I could figure out a way to make this work, a picture I could show the customer how it's supposed to be, and not the way it is.
    Owner of Pool Service Pro, Hilmar, Ca.
    Biggest fish shot, 35 pound halibut, this was not in my 12,000 AG pool, Kreepy krawly vacuum that's obsessed with tying itself into knots.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer box

Both of my in ground pools have had the floor plumbed to the skimmer and then from the skimmer to the pump. A float diverter in the skimmer can force suction from the floor, but it is not generally air tight enough to allow you to drain well below the skimmer.

This is a fairly common setup.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

He was able to pump out the pool, I had a couple of submersibles that I let him borrow, I tried a piece of hose jumper from one fitting to the other, but the hose I had would not seal.
    A float diverter, can that be controlled manually to take some water from the pools main drain, the way this is the water in this line going to main drain the water never moves.
    Biggest fish shot, 35 pound halibut, this was not in my 12,000 AG pool, Kreepy krawly vacuum that's obsessed with tying itself into knots.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes. That is what it is for. There are a couple designs, but that skimmer sounds bigger than normal. Can you post picture?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I was going to take a picture, but I had forgot my phone at home, I will be going there sometime this week, to do some cleaner adjustments once the pool is full.
    I will not be able to see the bottom of the skimmer once it's full, but I had my whole arm in it to reach the bottom, I figure 30" plus in depth, it had a divided small section maybe 6", this is a big metal box.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

agree with Jason. Thats why I dont post often. A part like this should b what you need. http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1082.../dp/B004VTG7EE

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jodeci77 View Post
    agree with Jason. Thats why I dont post often. A part like this should b what you need. http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-SP1082.../dp/B004VTG7EE
    Or the round spaceship is common, but this skimmer sounds different.
    Jason, TFP Moderator