Should I pump away all waters above winter cover? Or I can use this water?

Apr 6, 2014
RI
Hi,
Too much snow/rain this winter, and there is about 1 foot water above the winter cover. The contractor dumpped water to 1 foot below the ground at winterization. Right now temperauter is still 50F, and I plan to open the pool until May 1st. But I worry frogs going to lay eggs soon at the pool if I don't pump the water away, or leaves and debrits going to rot soon. The ideal is to pump all water out, but it could take days for a small pump. Also, I am thinking of dump these waters to the pool. It is a good rain water...

Could anyone advise what is the right way to do it? Also, extra information: I suspect the pool cover broke somewhere, because the surface is not flat. Thank you very much.

-- Not-experienced pool owner.

You can certainly pump water from on top of a cover, to the pool beneath. It's free water that's generally pretty pure but you will want to check your pool water with a good test kit (do not get water tested at the pool store) to see what adjustments you'll have to make after the addition. It's highly recommended you read as much of the Pool School (button at upper right of this page) to learn what test kit to buy and what you'll have to add. It will take several reads to understand it all but you'll be far better off for having spent that time. You're almost certain to have to add some liquid chlorine (plain old bleach) because that cover water will introduce some algae into the pool, but do test first to know your current state and test after you add the water to see where you're at afterwards. You have plenty of time to purchase one of the recommended test kits before you start.

You can buy some pretty inexpensive high volume pumps at Harbor Freight that would transfer all that water in a jiffy. There's a store in Warwick and one in South Attleboro, MA if either of those is close by.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.