New Build about to Order 16 x 32 inground pool kit.

vk4365

Apr 5, 2014
East Texas
Hello everyone. Please help. We are about to purchase a 16 x 32 steel wall pool kit from PoolWarehouse.com. We are 100% sure we are going DIY, we have friends that have done them and we have all the needed expertise in family and husband. I have a few questions before paying the bill.
1.) PoolWarehouse.com is it a good company?
2.) What size pump do we need?
3.) We are going salt water what recommendations do you have?
4.) 20 mil or worth the extra to upgrade to a 28 mil liner?

That's all for now, unfortunately I'm sure I will have more later.
Thanks!;)

Hi, welcome to TFP! A 1 hp 2 speed pump would be a good choice for your pool. From what I understand going from a 20 mil to 28 mil doesn't make a measurable difference in durability vs cost. If the warranty is better on the 28 mil then go with that. If the warranty is the same then just pick the liner you like. How well the ground is prepared and how well the water chemistry is balanced have more to do with the durability of the liner over time. I don't have a specific manufacture to recommend, but when you pick a salt water generator(swg), pick one rated a little higher than the volume of your pool. For example if you have a 10,000 gallon pool and the choice of SWGs of 10,000 and 15,000 gallons, go with the 15,000 gallon version. It should not be a significant increase in cost and your salt cell will last longer.

As far as whether PoolWarehouse.com is a good company to order from, I don't know. I have not used them myself. While there may be some older threads that offered reviews of various companies we really try to discourage overly negative or positive reviews. We don't have anyway to substantiate claims one way or another and in the interest of fairness we ask that comments be limited to yea or nay. If anyone on the forum feels compelled to give a more detailed answer please send it in a private message.

Welcome from another East Texan,

I did alot of online research before building my in ground pool too. Serioiusly considered a pool kit from online. Poolwarehouse seem to be as reputable as any other online seller but really have know way of being able to recommend one way or the other.

a 1 HP should be plenty. The folks in the know here recommend 2 speed pump. Saves a lot of money on electricity vs a single speed pump. And the lower speed also is a lot less noisy. It is more than worth the upgrade dollars.
Research a bit on the filter too. Bigger is better as far as filters go.

TFP Recommend to get a SWG that is rated for 3x your pool size. The larger size will result in a longer cell life as well as reduced intervals between having to clean them. A larger cell should also result in reduced pump run time needed to keep the proper chlorine level.

I really could not answer about the liner thicknes, I did go with the upgrade primarily because the pattern I wanted wasn't available in the 20 mil thickness. Maybe its just a brain game as others will claim, but I feel better knowing I have a 28 mil liner. Whether its worth it or not meaning it wont puncture as easily? I dont really know, but I'm sure the more experienced folks will chime in.

Enjoy the pool !

Welcome from another East Texan,

I did alot of online research before building my in ground pool too. Serioiusly considered a pool kit from online. Poolwarehouse seem to be as reputable as any other online seller but really have know way of being able to recommend one way or the other.

a 1 HP should be plenty. The folks in the know here recommend 2 speed pump. Saves a lot of money on electricity vs a single speed pump. And the lower speed also is a lot less noisy. It is more than worth the upgrade dollars.
Research a bit on the filter too. Bigger is better as far as filters go.

TFP Recommend to get a SWG that is rated for 3x your pool size. The larger size will result in a longer cell life as well as reduced intervals between having to clean them. A larger cell should also result in reduced pump run time needed to keep the proper chlorine level.

I really could not answer about the liner thicknes, I did go with the upgrade primarily because the pattern I wanted wasn't available in the 20 mil thickness. Maybe its just a brain game as others will claim, but I feel better knowing I have a 28 mil liner. Whether its worth it or not meaning it wont puncture as easily? I dont really know, but I'm sure the more experienced folks will chime in.

Enjoy the pool !

Sorry to be nosey, did you decide to go with a pool builder instead of the kit? Or did you find a local pool kit? Thanks

I will just comment on going with the thicker liner. My pool is about 35 years old, the current liner in it is the first premium grade I think 28 mil, previous liners have lasted 4 (might have been defective, started failing at the seams) to 10 years, with most in the 8-10 year range. (I did also loose a couple to premature failure issues like a Kawasaki UTV going into the pool about 20 years ago, etc.). My current liner is either 9 or 10 years old, and is just now starting to show a few signs of age, if all goes well I hope to get at least a few more years of use out of it. On average I would say it looks like a standard liner half its age.

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.