Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain cover loose - how to repair?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain cover loose - how to repair?

Hey, one of 2 screws in my floor drain cover has come loose, and my drain is now partially exposed, like a crescent moon.

To repair, does one just dive down multiple times, to assess, and then put in a new screw? Would a pool company use scuba equipment for such a repair?
    Or is the official procedure to drain the pool?

Last thing I need is for a someone (or myself) to catch his hand in the drain and drown in my pool.

Have been waiting for warmer temps to even consider taking a look at it close up. Don't know if the screw has just loosened or has come off.
    19k gal, STS1072R A.O. Smith C-Face Motor .75HP Full-Rated 2-Speed, Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain cover loose - how to repair?

Take a deep breath, carry something heavy to the bottom to hold onto and put a new screw in ... that is what I would do and have done at my previous house.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is there a certain standard type of screw used on these covers? I presume self-tapping, versus machine, but no idea of the size unless I also remove the remaining screw.
    19k gal, STS1072R A.O. Smith C-Face Motor .75HP Full-Rated 2-Speed, Hayward Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I would remove the remaining screw and match it, my pool drain cover has all the screws removed, the way it sits in it does not just pop out, but just in case a someones hair gets caught in it, they can pull it out.
    Owner of Pool Service Pro, Hilmar, Ca.
    Biggest fish shot, 35 pound halibut, this was not in my 12,000 AG pool, Kreepy krawly vacuum that's obsessed with tying itself into knots.

5. Back To Top    #5

Make sure that the suction is off to the drain before getting near it. Also, if the drain cover is not the latest model, this would be a good time to replace it.