Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Test results question

1. Back To Top    #1

Test results question

Can high salt levels cause the other test readings to be off? My salt level is still running high but am not getting a FC reading at all and about 1 on TC. The CYA is 50 Ph is exactly right. I have added fresh water the last 2 days.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Test results question

No, salt would not affect any of the other numbers.

It sounds like you are just starting to get algae, but probably can't see any in the water yet. It is time to shock the pool to get things back under control (always a good idea when FC goes to zero).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What do you suggest to shock with? bleach or what ? my pool hold 5300 gallons of water.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Logan IA

Quote Originally Posted by donna187
    What do you suggest to shock with? bleach or what ? my pool hold 5300 gallons of water.
    Yes, shock your pool and us bleach. you will have to get it to 15 ppm and hold it there. Use 1.5gallons to start.
    21' Leslies Beachland Ag Pool, 10,000 gallons, professionally installed (best money I ever spent) Hayward 16" sand filter w/Pentair two speed pump Fafco 4x20 solar heater,Aqua Trol RJ. Borates added. Hard plumbed.

5. Back To Top    #5

How long after adding the bleach before you can swim and how long before you retest. What do I use to help keep my clorine levels steady?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you could post a full set of test results with all the numbers and not 'pH is exactly right' it would be useful. This way we will know EXACTLY what is going on in your pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

waterbear, new test readings 1st set is done with test strips HA 50, TC 3, FC 10, Ph 7.6, TA 80, CY 80. Then 2nd results was just Chlorine and Ph liquid test CH 3.0, Ph 8.2