Generator not working. Shock pool?

Well, chlorine levels are still up this morning so now I'm definitely confused :/ is it possible that the CYA results at the pool store were so wildly off that they are actually low instead of high or normal? I am going to take a sample to them this morning since I don't have a good kit, yet. I'm sure their results will still be better than my little kit here. I'll let you guys know what happens!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and pool clarity is better but I wouldn't call it "sparkling", yet. :)
Taking another sample to the same store and expecting them to be more accurate than any other test they've done is wishful thinking. Not only is it possible, it is likely. For example I took samples to Leslies many times over a year and they always said my CYA was 40. When I finally had my own Taylor test kit and did my own test, it was in fact over 340. Talk about wildly off? In the mean time, I had algae bloom after algae bloom!

Define "still up". What was the FC and CC reading last night? What was the FC and CC reading this morning before the sunrise

When I did the chlorine yesterday (an hour before sunset and pool completely in shade), it was at 5 ppm on my simple test kit. Maybe higher but that's as high as it goes. This morning, from what I saw, it was still at 5 ppm. I didn't get it before sunrise but I took two tests, one in shade and one in sun and they were the same.
At Leslie's this morning, my FAC was 4 and my TAC is also 4. They were mostly concerned because they say my phosphates are through the roof: 1000 ppb. Now they have given me phosfree and said I will need to continue using it until I completely drain the pool because you can't completely get rid of them.... Honestly, I don't know what to do. I think I saw here that phosphates aren't a concern but the pool store said phosphates cause algae and if they aren't maintained, I will have a green pool.
Until I get the better kit you have all recommended, I feel somewhat reliant on their advice. Any thoughts on any of this? This was the wrong week to start my new diet. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Taking another sample to the same store and expecting them to be more accurate than any other test they've done is wishful thinking. Not only is it possible, it is likely.
I don't expect them to be more accurate than they were before but surely they will be more accurate than my simple chlorine/pH kit that I am currently using to test chlorine today.

When I did the chlorine yesterday (an hour before sunset and pool completely in shade), it was at 5 ppm on my simple test kit. Maybe higher but that's as high as it goes. This morning, from what I saw, it was still at 5 ppm. I didn't get it before sunrise but I took two tests, one in shade and one in sun and they were the same.
At Leslie's this morning, my FAC was 4 and my TAC is also 4. They were mostly concerned because they say my phosphates are through the roof: 1000 ppb. Now they have given me phosfree and said I will need to continue using it until I completely drain the pool because you can't completely get rid of them.... Honestly, I don't know what to do. I think I saw here that phosphates aren't a concern but the pool store said phosphates cause algae and if they aren't maintained, I will have a green pool.
Until I get the better kit you have all recommended, I feel somewhat reliant on their advice. Any thoughts on any of this? This was the wrong week to start my new diet. :(

- - - Updated - - -

I don't expect them to be more accurate than they were before but surely they will be more accurate than my simple chlorine/pH kit that I am currently using to test chlorine today.
Yeah, Leslies sold me a bottle of Phosfree at $36 too for phosphates at 1500. I never used it and since I went to Bleach last year, I never had to worry about Algae blooms as long as I kept my FC up around 5 and balanced my pool with the other tests. Your test kit will only measure up to 5ppm FC You will need to get considerably higher than that depending on what your CYA really is. AGAIN!!!!! do NOT rely on Leslies to give you an accurate CYA test!!! Unless you get your own FAS DPD test kit, you'll never know what your FC is, much less your CYA is. Nothing in this whole thread suggests you have any intention on getting an accurate reading. An Accurate CYA is critical to your pool health.

It's time to decide whose advice you will follow, ours or Leslie's. They will not mix, and it has to be one or the other.

We are all happy to help, but you have to help yourself first: get a good test kit, stop going to the pool store for their help, and start absorbing as much of Pool School as you can handle.

It's time to decide whose advice you will follow, ours or Leslie's. They will not mix, and it has to be one or the other.

We are all happy to help, but you have to help yourself first: get a good test kit, stop going to the pool store for their help, and start absorbing as much of Pool School as you can handle.
This is absolutely correct. We are entering the busy season on the forum and the active members are not going have time for "he said, she said" debates between conflicting methods. The pool store method has proven to be expensive and ineffective repeatedly. If you want a better way, then start following the advice that has been given.

This is absolutely correct. We are entering the busy season on the forum and the active members are not going have time for "he said, she said" debates between conflicting methods. The pool store method has proven to be expensive and ineffective repeated. If you want a better way, then start following the advice that has been given.

Quick version - you don't need the Phosfree. Only bleach. Pools store employees don't understand chemistry and chemical relationships. We do.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am going to be getting the better kit you've suggested. Without getting into my reasons too much, I haven't been able to order it yet (let's just say "the pig spore has hit the wind spinner" on my new home repairs). To be honest, I am stressing myself out a little too much but I realize you guys can't help me unless I get test better results.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am going to be getting the better kit you've suggested. Without getting into my reasons too much, I haven't been able to order it yet (let's just say "the pig spore has hit the wind spinner" on my new home repairs). To be honest, I am stressing myself out a little too much but I realize you guys can't help me unless I get test better results.

With the $40 for phosfree you were more than 50% of the way to the TF100.
Pool store is 99% snake oil. In the words of a really obnoxious Houston furniture store guy WE WILL SAVE YOU MONEY.

Get the test kit. It will pay for itself in what you don't buy in 1 trip to the pool store.

Sigh. Would like to reach into my screen and grab you and yell, "Return that Phosfree that you do NOT need and buy a good test kit! NOT from the pool store as it will not be the right type."

There are 2 decent test kits in the world. One is a better value than the other. Either will save you money... in the short term, in the long term. Really! Trust us. Read Pool School, Test Kits section and pick one. Order it from wherever but get it coming to you ASAP so you are not "forced" to buying junk that you do not need, based on water tests that are plain wrong, to fix things that are not even the cause of your problems.

Pool care is EASY. Pool care is INEXPENSIVE. Pool chemistry is UNDERSTANDABLE. The secret is to TEST to find what is wrong with the water and then add ONLY what is needed to fix the problem. Much cheaper that way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Well said. There is a lot of expert advice to be had here. Not all of us are "experts" (I'm certainly not) but many of us decided we would be in charge of our own pools and have learned what to put in it and why. If that is what you want then purchase a quality test kit and feel free to ask questions as you go and you will be pleased with the friendly advice as well as your pool. Here.....the folks on this site don't rely on the advice of the folks in those stores full of chemicals you don't need.

It might seem a bit scary at first, but it isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

As you said, your test only reads up to 5ppm FC. If you added enough bleach to reach 10ppm or more your test will not read accurately until the FC has dropped below 5ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.