Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump pressure help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump pressure help!!

Just back washed then rinsed. When I turned it back to filtration my gauge and pressure are jumping back and forth between 0 psi and 18 psi. It keeps bouncing back and forth every 30 seconds or so and bubbles are coming from the return jets. Help?????
    Jane in Northeast Texas

18 x 36 Inground Vinyl Liner, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Pro Series 24" 300 lb top mount Sand Filter, Hayward Super II 1 hp pump, 1 skimmer, 2 inlets, 2 Deck Jets, Vinyl Covered Stairs, Polaris 280 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump pressure help!!

Probably a bad gauge. Any idea when it was last replaced?

Not sure I can help with the bubbles, though.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

It's brand new!
    Jane in Northeast Texas

18 x 36 Inground Vinyl Liner, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Pro Series 24" 300 lb top mount Sand Filter, Hayward Super II 1 hp pump, 1 skimmer, 2 inlets, 2 Deck Jets, Vinyl Covered Stairs, Polaris 280 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds to me like your pump is loosing prime, did you clean the pump strainer basket while it was off? If so did you lubricate the basket o-ring with silicone lubricant before sealing it back up and check for debris (twigs, etc.) around the fitting?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

How does the pump basket look? Is it full of water?

Generally, air bubbles indicate a suction side leak, however, it could be you inadvertently got some air into your filter, and it's not bleeding out properly.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I will try these suggestions this afternoon when we get home! Thanks much! Stay tuned please!!
    Jane in Northeast Texas

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Confirming what others have said, you are loosing prime. Either a suction side leak or perhaps because your pool water level is too low and you are sucking in air at the skimmer.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Check the water level also. Sounds like it may be sucking air from skimmer if its got presure then no presure
    Nathan
    15x30 gunite 18k gallons Hayward star clear plus 120sqft cart

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your tips. We cleaned pump basket and stuck hands in pipe to clear. Added more water before closing pump. Wasted out a lot of rainwater and then back washed again. All seems to be running fine now!! Thanks for all of your responses and advice!!!!
    Jane in Northeast Texas

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    Check the water level also. Sounds like it may be sucking air from skimmer if its got presure then no presure
    Yes, I had this problem exactly! I wish I found these forums sooner.