Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a bottom drain line to DE filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a bottom drain line to DE filter

All-

Have a 60sqft FNS Plus DE filter. As I'm changing out my pump while I'm having the pool resurfaced, figured I'd take the time to do something I've always wanted to do- add a drain line to the bottom drain plug. It's a standard 1.5" tapered thread, and the plug has got an o-ring on it. I'm assuming the o-ring is there a) because of the pressure involved and 2) because the threaded area is "short" and there's less of a chance of a good seal.

The major issue here is vertical clearance. The most compact combination I can get is with a male-to-slip and then a 90 degree street elbow- but it's still too tall. I need to do more research on specialty connectors online to see if I can make this work. I would rather not have the filter on a raised base simply because of the multiport valve in place and all the plumbing I'd have to re-do.

Any one have success with this? Especially on the connection to the filter base threads- possibly cementing in place?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding a bottom drain line to DE filter

Since it's a drain and not actually used for circulation, couldn't you just replace the plug with a reducer, then stick a 1/2 or 3/4 elbow on that and bring the piping out and around?? The shutoff valve would be cheaper than a 1 1/2, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually, yes! I just needed to go online for a variety of reducing bushings that the local big boxes didn't have

4. Back To Top    #4

Since the water will contain de, a smaller diameter is more likely to get clogged up. You should be able to use a 1.5 -inch male adaptor and then glue in a street 90.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good call on the clogging. Male adapter + street 90, though, is already way too tall unfortunately. What I need is a reducer bushing with npt on the outside and slip on the inside (so basically the male adapter but bushing-style so it's a shorter fitting). Perusing the manufacturer sites as we speak

Thanks all!