All this free time on my hands

AprilNC

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
So, we set up our first ever pool last summer, didn't "close" it over winter, and now it is open ... but all of this was supposed to be "so much work" ... and since I read TFP extensively before, during, and after set up I find myself with zero problems, and so little time spent messing with the pool. However, it is a bit chilly to actually be in the pool ... so alas ... I have too much time to be looking at toys and drooling over all of these new pool construction posts! (Dangerous, Dangerous considering our limited budget!!)

So ... tell me what cheap toys (actually I would like some sort of waterproof speaker thing to put in the pool) that you have had ... We have 3 boys (one off at college - which is the major contributor to the limited pool budget) ... and we need stuff for the pool ... the one noodle, skateboard looking thing, and floatie don't seem to be holding their attention!

Dive toys are fun. They are weighted cloth covered things that you throw into the pool and the kids go retrieve them. For younger kids simply getting them is enough of a challenge. For older kids you can make games out of it, for example we did retrieve on one breath without using your hands, or find them quickly when they are tossed in after you are underwater.

I'm pretty sure if I mention "cannon" hubby and boys will immediately get on that one! LOL!

Which reminds me ... I need to look up that PVC water sprinkler/water feature thing I saw here last summer ...

Beer pong sounds like fun! I also saw a floating ping pong table that the boys might enjoy! I think I can make one of the pvc ring toss games too! Thanks for all the suggestions - this will give us a few projects to work on while it is still too cold to swim! ... A solar cover is starting to look better and better!

I buy or make one thing for the backyard every year. One year I bought a commercial popcorn machine, the next a commercial cotton candy machine, next was a sno-cone.

A couple years ago I decided to make something for the backyard every year. Since then I have made a giant chalkboard that is attached to the privacy fence. Chalkboard paint you buy at the hardware is not for exterior use so you have to make it. 1 cup of tile grout mixed into a gallon of exterior flat paint rolled onto a sheet of plywood.

20140406_182749.jpg

This year I am going to make backyard Jenga, something like this

5f9f64f157e359455cdb5cea79975b10.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think this will be the year we finally put in horse shoe pits ... Love the huge jenga game idea! We have almost 7 acres, so no worries about room to play it!

we have one fourwheeler ... and a few go carts ... the go carts don't get much use anymore since the boys are bigger and they are kid-sized ... time to trade them for one more fourwheeler me thinks =) ... we spend lots of time outside ... between planting fruit trees, the garden, toys ... well the pool gets good use after a long day of fun ... we have boats too (one too many LOL) ... but it is so much nicer to walk out my back door and swim rather than trailering the boat to the lake! ... My pool is much cleaner too!

LOL! ... They've outgrown them more because the motors aren't powerful enough to make them go fast enough!

... I do have a question about the beer pong ... I saw two different types - one that was long and so the cups are set up on each end and one where it came with two triangle shaped floats - are you supposed to bounce the ball and make it land in the cups? I've never tried to bounce a ping pong ball on a float - so could I get the independent triangle ones ... I could possibly disguise this as just a game for the not-of-age folks ...

Swatting around a beach ball is alot of fun. My kids are older and enjoy doing that when we are all together. Whoever knocks it out of the pool has to go get it! They like passing the torpedo as well. They also make floating speakers that connect with your phone or mp3 player using bluetooth.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.