Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: All this free time on my hands

1. Back To Top    #1

All this free time on my hands

So, we set up our first ever pool last summer, didn't "close" it over winter, and now it is open ... but all of this was supposed to be "so much work" ... and since I read TFP extensively before, during, and after set up I find myself with zero problems, and so little time spent messing with the pool. However, it is a bit chilly to actually be in the pool ... so alas ... I have too much time to be looking at toys and drooling over all of these new pool construction posts! (Dangerous, Dangerous considering our limited budget!!)

So ... tell me what cheap toys (actually I would like some sort of waterproof speaker thing to put in the pool) that you have had ... We have 3 boys (one off at college - which is the major contributor to the limited pool budget) ... and we need stuff for the pool ... the one noodle, skateboard looking thing, and floatie don't seem to be holding their attention!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: All this free time on my hands

Dive toys are fun. They are weighted cloth covered things that you throw into the pool and the kids go retrieve them. For younger kids simply getting them is enough of a challenge. For older kids you can make games out of it, for example we did retrieve on one breath without using your hands, or find them quickly when they are tossed in after you are underwater.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah, I forgot about the diving toys! They were all sold out by the time I was shopping for toys last summer! I've put them on the list!
    Central NC

4. Back To Top    #4

A couple of super soaker's are lots of fun. Basketball hoop. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it's time to sit down with some PVC, some hoses, and whatever else it might take, and design a water cannon that attaches to the return or to a sump pump.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm pretty sure if I mention "cannon" hubby and boys will immediately get on that one! LOL!

Which reminds me ... I need to look up that PVC water sprinkler/water feature thing I saw here last summer ...
    Central NC

7. Back To Top    #7

For the older crew............a floating Beer Pong game is a must! Taking a drink could always be substituted with swim a lap or some such for the younguns'.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

I am with Woody, beer pong for the pool is a must. If your pool is setup for it, volleyball is a great way to stay active in the pool. Super soakers are a blast. Next up is a basketball setup for our pool but I always wondered how do you dribble on water.
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

9. Back To Top    #9

Beer pong sounds like fun! I also saw a floating ping pong table that the boys might enjoy! I think I can make one of the pvc ring toss games too! Thanks for all the suggestions - this will give us a few projects to work on while it is still too cold to swim! ... A solar cover is starting to look better and better!
    Central NC

10. Back To Top    #10

I buy or make one thing for the backyard every year. One year I bought a commercial popcorn machine, the next a commercial cotton candy machine, next was a sno-cone.

A couple years ago I decided to make something for the backyard every year. Since then I have made a giant chalkboard that is attached to the privacy fence. Chalkboard paint you buy at the hardware is not for exterior use so you have to make it. 1 cup of tile grout mixed into a gallon of exterior flat paint rolled onto a sheet of plywood.

This year I am going to make backyard Jenga, something like this

18' x 36' IG Vinyl 30K gallon, Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump and DE Filter hardpiped, Aqua Pro 1300 Electric Heat Pump.
    TF100 Test Kit on order !
    Commercial Popcorn machine, sno cone machine and cotton candy machine, lost my red nose.

11. Back To Top    #11

I think this will be the year we finally put in horse shoe pits ... Love the huge jenga game idea! We have almost 7 acres, so no worries about room to play it!
    Central NC

12. Back To Top    #12

7 acres I vote for some four wheelers !!
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

we have one fourwheeler ... and a few go carts ... the go carts don't get much use anymore since the boys are bigger and they are kid-sized ... time to trade them for one more fourwheeler me thinks =) ... we spend lots of time outside ... between planting fruit trees, the garden, toys ... well the pool gets good use after a long day of fun ... we have boats too (one too many LOL) ... but it is so much nicer to walk out my back door and swim rather than trailering the boat to the lake! ... My pool is much cleaner too!
    Central NC

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by AprilNC View Post
    the go carts don't get much use anymore since the boys are bigger and they are kid-sized ... time to trade them for one more fourwheeler me thinks
    Probably a good thing they're your boys and not mine -- my first thought was "one go-cart strapped to each foot, with a remote control for the throttles...".
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

15. Back To Top    #15

LOL! ... They've outgrown them more because the motors aren't powerful enough to make them go fast enough!

... I do have a question about the beer pong ... I saw two different types - one that was long and so the cups are set up on each end and one where it came with two triangle shaped floats - are you supposed to bounce the ball and make it land in the cups? I've never tried to bounce a ping pong ball on a float - so could I get the independent triangle ones ... I could possibly disguise this as just a game for the not-of-age folks ...
    Central NC

16. Back To Top    #16

Swatting around a beach ball is alot of fun. My kids are older and enjoy doing that when we are all together. Whoever knocks it out of the pool has to go get it! They like passing the torpedo as well. They also make floating speakers that connect with your phone or mp3 player using bluetooth.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!