Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Compupool swg on new install

1. Back To Top    #1

Compupool swg on new install

I am looking at putting in a cpsc16 in my new fiberglass 17k gallon pool. (one brochure on their site says it is enough and another says i need the next step up) I have a 2 speed motor with a sand filter (300 lbs/24 inch) I plan to run the pump constantly at low speed and only put on high for cleanings. I have always done chlorine in my other pools but wife wants swg. anything I need to watch out for on this? seems most folks get at least 2 years from the cells so while i doubt i will save much over chlorine seems it will at least be the same. appreciate any input out there. main reason for the compupool is the price. really dont want to spend 1k plus on an swg especially if i am not happy with it and decide to go back to chlorine tabs again.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Compupool swg on new install

We recommend sizing the SWG for 2-3 times the size of your pool. This prolongs the life of the cell which should easily last longer than 2 years.

Also there is no way you need to be running your pump constantly. See the article in the How To section of Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The amount of chlorine used varies fairly widely over the course of the season. If your SWG is undersized, there is probably only a week or two during the year when you will need to manually supplement the chlorine level. However, you will need to pay attention when it is around that time and make sure you keep up manually.

A larger SWG will end up being less expensive in the long run. Even though it costs more up front, it will last more than enough longer to make up for the extra expense. If you need to run the pump extra time for the smaller SWG, the larger one will make up it's extra expense even more quickly.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Also the cpsc series have had some issues with the electrical connections at the cell, leading to melting of the end piece. The CPX36 would be a better choice if you want to stick with Compupool.

14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

any other brands i should be looking at instead?

6. Back To Top    #6

I just got the Circupool si45 installed and its been fantastic!!!

- - - Updated - - -

One more week! Order the SI30 plus and they upgrade it to the SI45 plus!!
    http://discountsaltpool.3dcartstores...anty_p_99.html
    12k gal, IG, Pebble, Circupool SI45SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

looking at circupool, which voltage will i need? i am going to be running a 2 speed 220v motor and will also have a few 110v outlets by the pad. does this wire through the motor or into the outlets?

8. Back To Top    #8

The SWG should be powered from the same timer that powers the pump motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks never used swg before always been chlorine feeder till now

10. Back To Top    #10

Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet? Post up test results and lets see what needs adjusting before you can start up the SWG.
    What does the water look like?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

not yet they just set the pool 2 days ago, finish plumbing this week and backfill and deck, then equipment and swg. ill test water first but generally this time of year our city water runs 4 to 6 ppm chlorine so it should be interesting.

12. Back To Top    #12

You should at least bump up to the 24 size if not the 36.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

13. Back To Top    #13

actually leaning towards the circupool si 45 now