Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cracked gunnite step in vinyl pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Maryville, TN

Cracked gunnite step in vinyl pool

New member. My name is David. I have a follow-up question to this thread, as it concerns gunite.

First off my pool is a 25+ year old, 20'x40' In-ground, Grecian-style, vinyl-lined pool with gunite steps (photo). The gunite has some kind of chalky plaster on top of it. This winter it developed a crack in the side wall of the steps (photo). I used an epoxy to stop the leak (2"/day) but realize that it is only temporary and is already starting to peel off. A local pool company recommended a guy with a company called Perma Ceram. He said the pool needs to be drained to below step level. He then will grind off the finish over the gunite, seal the leak and reapply a finish over the entire step surface.

Just wondering if this sounds right or if you recommend another process. Said the cost will be $800-$1000 and should take a day to day and a half.

Appreciate any feedback and have already bought some recommended products this morning from this site (Taylor Chloride Salt Water Drop Test Kit K-1766, and TFTestkits TF-100)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Cracked gunnite step in vinyl pool

That sounds like a proper repair to me, and not an unreasonable cost.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tulsa, OK

Re: Cracked gunnite step in vinyl pool

Don't drain the pool too low or the vinyl liner can get messed up.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG