How to add CYA on a refill

May 4, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I'm helping my buddy out w/ his refill today. I know that when I add CYA to my pool, I put it in socks and into the skimmer. What should we do for his pool since it's a fresh fill and contains no CYA? Still put it in socks to let it dissolve over a week or throw in enough based off the calculator to get it to appropriate levels?

Keep in mind, you don't need to allow the CYA to dissolve for a week. Once it's dissolved from the sock, you can remove the sock. It just takes up to a week to show on the CYA test.

Also, if you "toss into the skimmer," make sure pump is running the entire time the Sock is in the skimmer. Also, don't back flush for a week or so.

Anytime there are ever chemicals in the skimmer, the pump should be left running. By leaving the CYA in the skimmer with no water circulation you are allowing the pH to lower in the skimmer.....risking damage. When you first turn on the pump, you also flow low pH water into the pump, risking damaging the pumps seals.

Often the majority of our CYA is dissolved after a few hours and we'll remove it. Then we leave the pump running for 24hours.....just in case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.