Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to add CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

How to add CYA?

Please always start your own thread, thanks. Butterfly

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a reason for adding CYA through a sock hanging in front of a return? I've always poured it into a skimmer slowly.
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Stabilizer vs Dry

I have in floor cleaners. I just broadcast stabilizer over the whole pool while the pump is running and it disperses fairly quickly.
    13000 Gallon Shasta Pool In Ground 2004
    Gunite/PebbleTech, AutoPilot Salt Water, Cartridge Filters, Ozone, In Floor Cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFiter View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread, but is there a reason for adding CYA through a sock hanging in front of a return? I've always poured it into a skimmer slowly.
    Keeps it from staining the pool surface.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by TreeFiter View Post
    If you do it that way it gets hung up in the filter and takes longer to dissolve. Could also get back washed out. The sock method is the preferred method. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    I have in floor cleaners. I just broadcast stabilizer over the whole pool while the pump is running and it disperses fairly quickly.
    I would advise against broadcasting cyanuric acid. It does not dissolve quickly enough.

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: How to add CYA?

Just added 4lbs through some panty hose in the skimmers and it took about 4 hours. Just a little massaging the hose to get it all dissolved.
    Richmond, VA
    36,000 Gal/20'x40' Vinyl Diving Pool - Inground/Hayward Tri-Star Dual Speed 1.5 HP Pump/Hayward T-15 Salt Cell/Goldline Controller/Sand Filter/Borates

7. Back To Top    #7

I usually just add some pucks to the floater when the CYA is low but on the few occasions I added it from the bag, I just slowly poured it into the skimmer. I have a cartridge filter and have never had any issues dosing it this way. I would be reluctant to simply broadcast it because it does not seem to dissolve too well and I would worry that it would sit on the bottom and bleach/stain the surface.

Supposedly you don't want to rinse you filter for a couple days after you add CYA (because it takes a while to dissolve) so if you're due for a filter cleaning then do that first.

8. Back To Top    #8

We have also seen a couple of reports where it appears that the CYA poured into the skimmer ended up clumping and clogging the pipe. Using a sock is safer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I would advise against broadcasting cyanuric acid. It does not dissolve quickly enough.
    Just added 8 lbs. this way and it was gone in an hour.
    Gunite/PebbleTech, AutoPilot Salt Water, Cartridge Filters, Ozone, In Floor Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Copperhead View Post
    Just added 8 lbs. this way and it was gone in an hour.
    You have in-floor cleaners, which keep the acid from sitting on the floor. However, most people do not have in-floor cleaners.

In any case, I don't think that broadcasting cyanuric acid is a good method. I don't think that it is a method that should be presented as an acceptable option.

11. Back To Top    #11

I broadcast the CYA once, and my Polaris collected it all in its little bag. Poor thing was so heavy it was falling over on its side.

Now I get the more expensive liquid CYA.
    19k gal, STS1072R A.O. Smith C-Face Motor .75HP Full-Rated 2-Speed, Hayward Sand Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by LotusRacerX View Post
    Why? Seems like a waste of money when an old sock in the skimmer or in front of a return jet would work fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by LotusRacerX View Post
    I broadcast the CYA once, and my Polaris collected it all in its little bag. Poor thing was so heavy it was falling over on its side.

The granular stabilizer is just as good and cheaper. You have to add it the right way. The sock, knee high method in front of a return is the preferred method.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

14. Back To Top    #14

What color staining am I watching for?

15. Back To Top    #15

It is an acid, so it could fade the pool surface.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

You should not run the Polaris after you put in the CYA. Just like you shouldn't backwash a filter. Give it a week to dissolve.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

17. Back To Top    #17

I will note that different brands of CYA dissolve differently. I found the brand from Walmart, HTH, was super fast to dissolve. In comparison the brand from the pool store (name not recalled) was super hard and took quite a long time to dissolve. The HTH was almost fluffy compared to the hard rocks of slower dissolving sort.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    You should not run the Polaris after you put in the CYA. Just like you shouldn't backwash a filter. Give it a week to dissolve.
    There is no reason not to run the Polaris when adding cyanuric acid.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona View Post
    I will note that different brands of CYA dissolve differently. I found the brand from Walmart, HTH, was super fast to dissolve. In comparison the brand from the pool store (name not recalled) was super hard and took quite a long time to dissolve. The HTH was almost fluffy compared to the hard rocks of slower dissolving sort.
    Was there a difference in the size of the granules?
    TreeFiter

Pool Technician
    Saugerties, NY

20. Back To Top    #20

How to add CYA?

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona View Post
    I've had the same experience. If I recall correctly, the Walmart HTH brand seemed to be more "flake like", for lack of a better term.
    Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast