Henderson, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The recommendation here is to use bleach for sanitizer rather than tabs, so I switched over to sodium-hypochloride (10%) early last month. I noticed my CH levels are rising week over week. The TFP calculator notes indicate the sodium-hypo add to the CH levels. I am at a position now that the calc recommends replacing 25% of my water.

My question is, will household bleach have the same outcome? Or will using household bleach not have the side effects of the 10% sodium-hypo I use now? Or, should I try to find liquid chlorine, which does not seem to affect CH.

FWIW, the 90% content of the label only indicates "Other ingredients" so maybe I was stupid for not asking that that is.

Thank you for the excellent advise on this site.

BTW, the other levels are fine and I have Balanced water. Just concerned about CH rising consitently. And, its a PITA to drain the pool, as I have to rent a pump and 150' of hose to drain to sewer, per code.

Sodium-hypochloride and bleach both contain salt, but they don't contain any calcium (CH). The other ingredients are salt, water, and tiny amounts of lye.

CH might be going up if your fill water contains CH and you top off the pool now and then. Have you measured your fill water CH levels?

The TFP calculator notes indicate the sodium-hypo add to the CH levels. I am at a position now that the calc recommends replacing 25% of my water.

Is there any chance you picked "cal-hypo" (calcium hypochlorite) in the calculator rather than bleach (sodium hypochlorite) ? Cal-hypo does add CH (calcium hardness) but sounds like you're using chlorinating liquid which is the same as household bleach, just a bit more concentrated. No CH.

Okay, looks like its tied to the fill water, rather than the sanitizer. CH in fill water measured 593. Not sure how to bring it down now, since a partial drain and refill will likely bring it up.

So, I presume that there isnt much to do about CH.

Thank you, again, for the excellent advise here.....I do appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

I will add, the sodium-hypo is pool store jugs. I will go with that until gone and then switch to bleach.

Test results!

Those recommended levels won't work where you live. Straight out of the tap you're over the limit. Where'd you get that CH number anyway? That looks like a pool store test result.

What you need to do is get test results you can trust, then plug them into Pool Math and see what the CSI is. You might need to run pH at the low end of safe or aggresivle lower TA to keep CSI neutral, but it's not that big a deal. Once CH hits 800 or so, it becomes extremely difficult to maintain CSI. I manage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dalancas,

Pay close attention to Richard320's post. You (as he does) lives in an area with very high CH in the fill water.

By manipulating TA and pH and CH, you can manage your pool water but you would be wise to rely on the assistance of someone with his experience.

YOu need to.....

1. Get a good test kit to manage this issue.

2. Re-read ABC's of Pool water Chemistry

3. Now that you know the problem (fill water), plan on testing very carefully and staying on top of it.....you're gonna' have to drain and refill a bit more than you like probably.

Keep us posted...we'll all help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.