Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Small fiberglass pool and sodium hypochloride

1. Back To Top    #1

Small fiberglass pool and sodium hypochloride

The recommendation here is to use bleach for sanitizer rather than tabs, so I switched over to sodium-hypochloride (10%) early last month. I noticed my CH levels are rising week over week. The TFP calculator notes indicate the sodium-hypo add to the CH levels. I am at a position now that the calc recommends replacing 25% of my water.

My question is, will household bleach have the same outcome? Or will using household bleach not have the side effects of the 10% sodium-hypo I use now? Or, should I try to find liquid chlorine, which does not seem to affect CH.

FWIW, the 90% content of the label only indicates "Other ingredients" so maybe I was stupid for not asking that that is.

Thank you for the excellent advise on this site.

BTW, the other levels are fine and I have Balanced water. Just concerned about CH rising consitently. And, its a PITA to drain the pool, as I have to rent a pump and 150' of hose to drain to sewer, per code.
    2600 gal spool, IG fiberglass
    Pentair CC-150 cartridge filter
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HDNA heater, with cupro-nickle exchanger
    2x swim jets

2. Back To Top    #2

Small fiberglass pool and sodium hypochloride

Oops. Was trying to search
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Small fiberglass pool and sodium hypochloride

Regular house hold bleach will not have any side effects. It won't effect your CH at all. The only thing it will add is chlorine and a little bit of salt. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sodium-hypochloride and bleach both contain salt, but they don't contain any calcium (CH). The other ingredients are salt, water, and tiny amounts of lye.

CH might be going up if your fill water contains CH and you top off the pool now and then. Have you measured your fill water CH levels?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

A full set of tests would help ... Including water temp. Wondering about your csi
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.

6. Back To Top    #6

Doh. Belay that ... Fiberglass pool, nowhere to leach calcium from

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Dalancas View Post
    The TFP calculator notes indicate the sodium-hypo add to the CH levels. I am at a position now that the calc recommends replacing 25% of my water.
    Is there any chance you picked "cal-hypo" (calcium hypochlorite) in the calculator rather than bleach (sodium hypochlorite) ? Cal-hypo does add CH (calcium hardness) but sounds like you're using chlorinating liquid which is the same as household bleach, just a bit more concentrated. No CH.
    Cedar hot tub, 680 US gallons - Snorkel wood-burning heater, canoe paddle, "offline" Intex 1000 GPH pump/filter with skimmer

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, looks like its tied to the fill water, rather than the sanitizer. CH in fill water measured 593. Not sure how to bring it down now, since a partial drain and refill will likely bring it up.

So, I presume that there isnt much to do about CH.

Thank you, again, for the excellent advise here.....I do appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

I will add, the sodium-hypo is pool store jugs. I will go with that until gone and then switch to bleach.
    2600 gal spool, IG fiberglass
    Pentair CC-150 cartridge filter
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HDNA heater, with cupro-nickle exchanger
    2x swim jets

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dalancas View Post
    I will add, the sodium-hypo is pool store jugs. I will go with that until gone and then switch to bleach.
    I'm confused. Why are you switching?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Test results!

Those recommended levels won't work where you live. Straight out of the tap you're over the limit. Where'd you get that CH number anyway? That looks like a pool store test result.

What you need to do is get test results you can trust, then plug them into Pool Math and see what the CSI is. You might need to run pH at the low end of safe or aggresivle lower TA to keep CSI neutral, but it's not that big a deal. Once CH hits 800 or so, it becomes extremely difficult to maintain CSI. I manage.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Dalancas,

Pay close attention to Richard320's post. You (as he does) lives in an area with very high CH in the fill water.

By manipulating TA and pH and CH, you can manage your pool water but you would be wise to rely on the assistance of someone with his experience.

YOu need to.....

1. Get a good test kit to manage this issue.

2. Re-read ABC's of Pool water Chemistry

3. Now that you know the problem (fill water), plan on testing very carefully and staying on top of it.....you're gonna' have to drain and refill a bit more than you like probably.

Keep us posted...we'll all help.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School