Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool startup. Saltwater

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool startup. Saltwater

How is an easy way to bring up ph in a saltwater pool

Dave Graham
    6,000 Gallon 16' x 4' Intex Round Ultra Frame
    Hayward S244-T Sand Filter, Intex SWG, Hayward SF1593 1.5hp Pump, Hayward Thru-Wall Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool startup. Saltwater

Borax or soda ash.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

It is very uncommon to ever need to raise the PH when using a SWG, as the SWG tends to raise PH on it's own.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Can you post a full set of test readings?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    It is very uncommon to ever need to raise the PH when using a SWG, as the SWG tends to raise PH on it's own.
    Ditto this. I have never had to raise PH, I lower PH to lower alkalinity and am hopeful this year to get it under control and have more stable PH.
    DIY 18x36 IG Vinyl Rectangle with 2 foot radius; Steel Walls. 8' steps w/t 2 step jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 2 returns; Hayward Pro Series 24 Inch 300# Sand Pool ; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves, Hayward PL-P-4, SWCG

6. Back To Top    #6

Aerate. I am doing this right now on my SWG pool. But that is because I added muriatic acid to bring down the TA, which also lowered the pH, and I want the pH to rise quicker than it would with just the effect of the SWG.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by sargent View Post
    Aerate. I am doing this right now on my SWG pool. But that is because I added muriatic acid to bring down the TA, which also lowered the pH, and I want the pH to rise quicker than it would with just the effect of the SWG.
    Your trying to lower TA right ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm trying to get TA down, and then I want to add Borates. At this time of year I'm not generating all that much chlorine, so it would take several days to get much movement upward in pH. I guess I'm just a little impatient.

My point is that sometimes, but rarely, (Once I am through with this process, I probably will not ever need to do it again until I get a new liner.) you may want to raise your pH even though you have a SWG. I have no idea why the original poster wants to raise his pH, but depending on where he is in TA, he may want to aerate instead of adding borax or soda ash.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG