More Outdoor Sound

pragmatic

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2011
Friendswood, TX
I’ve been torn for months on outdoor sound options. I already have good sound under the patio (Polk Audio Atrium5 powered from the B-side of a Sony ES); pain to control volume from inside and the neighbors don’t appreciate the sound-levels required to hear over hot-tub blower. NoFear95 posted some great low-cost ideas (Thanks). Quality, outdoor rating and outside control were a priority (I didn’t want to subject an expensive tuner /amp to the elements). Outdoor Speaker Depot was a great source for both. Their 120(bridgeable) AMP, 200ft CL3 direct-bury wire, outdoor volume control and water-proof connectors cost me less than $220. I found a used pair of rock-speakers (OSD RX550) for $38 and I was all set. I still need to place the amp (inside ODK and plan to extend an input cord to countertop level for Pandora /Iphone feed) and paint the volume control unit.
I really like having the volume control next to the hot-tub!! Burying 100ft of wire and volume control placement was the hardest-part, but over-all an easy DIY install.
DSC_2851_zps27fe8787.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_2854_zps535fa153.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_2855_zps65d3aeeb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSC_2860_zpsa5b7dd42.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm glad I could help! Great install!! I truly love my outdoor music. Now when we are hanging out with other people in there backyards it seems like the mood is less without music!

Where did you end up putting the amp?
Thanks! I have some drilling through the ODK wall, but the amp will be mounted inside with the input cord extended out. Maybe get it done today, maybe not..sorry but it's my way. Too pretty outside; grilling Fajitas and 2-10 margaritas may prioritize my plans.

Thanks Woody, landscaping was DIY. It was hard work but rewarding. Funny that we get ridiculed from some of our friends for doing our own yard work and landscaping (moving rocks and tons of dirt seems too hard for them), but they are the same ones that PAY someone for "extreme" exercising; Cross-fit, tough-mudder type stuff....Go Figure??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.