Pump Replacement Plumbing Question

DFS

Apr 5, 2014
Spring, TX
I am replacing an old single speed 2HP pump (Purex Ultraflow) with a Haward Ecostar VS Pump, the issue I am facing is the new pump is 26.1" in length requiring a 3" min clearance at the rear of the pump for air movement and a 5x the diameter of the inflo pipe for the horizontal line going into the pump on the suction side.

That makes the overall length required to be 39.1" however I don't have that distance between where the current skimmer lines come in and the house.

My thoughts are 2 options:

1. I could dig up the plumbing and make a 45 out away from the pump and up to vertical and 90 to make up the distance required

2. Rotate the pump 90 degrees from its current position and have one of the horizontals of the skimmer line longer than the other before meeting the valve then have the 10" of 2" pipe to the pump.

I will have to cut all existing plumbing between the spider valve and skimmer lines either way.photo 1.JPGphoto 2.JPGphoto 3.JPGView attachment 28223

Dont' know what the best method would be to optimize flow. I would rather go with Option 2 but would do whatever is the correct way regardless of labor.

I have added pics. Thanks to all who help.

I would leave the suction side plumbing alone and put two 90s and a horizontal section between the pump outlet and the existing three way valve. That is perhaps not the ideal setup for maximizing the flow rate, but the difference between that and ideal will be quite small. My proposal may also lose an inch or so off the ideal amount of straight pipe in front of the pump, but again this will make hardly any difference. All of your other options will involve replacing rather more of the plumbing.

If you are very into optimizing flow, you won't get much improvement without replacing nearly all of the equipment pad plumbing and moving some of the larger pieces around a little. If you are into that kind of thing, go for it. But most people prefer to take the simpler approach.

Thanks Lion, I think I like your idea if I visualize it correctly. I sketched this, do you think this is suitable. There would be a 3 way valve above the pump outlet as this is currently to divert water to pressure cleaner line when required.

Thanksphoto (1).jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.