New Family Member

BoDarville

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 5, 2012
DFW, Texas
Meet Tigger, our new family member. He is a 3-year old Boxer/AmStaff mix. He was rescued from a shelter by his foster family and lived with them for over two years. They were very particular about who they would adopt him out to, which worked out well for us as well as Tigger. Two days before Christmas 2013, we had lost our beloved Snickers after nearly 14 years. It was strange how eerily quiet the house got. After about a month, we began looking and found Tigger. His foster mom brought him to the house and he took to us immediately. She knew that he had found his forever home and that their 2-year persistence paid off. For anyone who has never gone through the adoption process, it is a 2-way interview - the dog interviews the prospective owners as much as they interview the dog. You just know when you have found the right match.

He has many of the traits of Snickers as well as those of a black lab we had several years ago named Midnight. He has a friendly and playful disposition, but is not overly hyper. He doesn't harass you at the dinner table (we can thank his foster family for training him not to do that). We have had a few thunderstorms since adopting him and he has shown no sign of anxiety towards that which is a good thing considering the number of thunderstorms DFW gets each year. He loves people and gets along well with other dogs. Loves going for car rides and walks well on a leash. His biggest vice is that he has trouble controlling his "licker" :).

Attachments

• TiggerInCar_Reduced.jpg
    TiggerInCar_Reduced.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 160
  • TiggerDoorMan.jpg
    TiggerDoorMan.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 161
  • TiggerLayingByPool.jpg
    TiggerLayingByPool.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 160
Sorry to hear about snickers Bo and at the same time congrats on the family's new member.

I'm sure trigger has found the best owners and family he could want. When is his first dip going to be ? ?

Thanks pwrstrk! As for when his first dip will be, he has already gazed longingly at the pool several times. He hasn't gone in yet, but it will be interesting to see if he goes in when I do. Snickers was not at all fond of water, but the black labs we had over the years sure were. Will keep you posted.

Tigger looks like a sweetheart! What in the world is it about our dogs that we find so engaging?

A portion of our social life is centered on our two mutts having as much fun as possible and we wouldn't have it any other way.

There is just nothing like them!!

Thanks Dave.
duraleigh said:
What in the world is it about our dogs that we find so engaging?
I think much of it is the little things that are often taken for granted until they're not there. Such things as being by my side during "meat grinding day" (I grind my own burgers, meatballs, sausage, and chili meat from scratch), being by the grill/smoker waiting for a sample, being woken up by that "licker", laying next to me on the couch (the one he's allowed on) while watching a game, and supervising me testing the pool water (to make sure I do it right) to name a few.

Thanks Dave. I think much of it is the little things that are often taken for granted until they're not there. Such things as being by my side during "meat grinding day" (I grind my own burgers, meatballs, sausage, and chili meat from scratch), being by the grill/smoker waiting for a sample, being woken up by that "licker", laying next to me on the couch (the one he's allowed on) while watching a game, and supervising me testing the pool water (to make sure I do it right) to name a few.

Same thing in our house as well. Our yellow lab Barney is the best along with the wife and kids of course ! ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm super partial to boxers so I love him already! :mrgreen:

Congratulations on your new baby! We have 3 and our lives would be incomplete without them! Jimmy and I often wonder how we managed without our newest baby JJ. He's getting so big! He got into a box of popcicles yesterday and ended up with blue lips and pink paws! If I wasn't rushing out the door for work, I'd of taken a pic! He's something else!

See the box of pop ice behind him? :mrgreen:

It must be the day for popcicles, my wife and I had to pry a popcicle stick out of our dog's mouth a few hours ago. It was a 2 person job, one to pry his mouth open the other to reach in and get it, drop it just was not working.

Ike

lol Ike. Those puppies get into everything! JJ listens to *Leave It*.

Orwell, my 7 year old mastiff will usually listen to "leave it" if it is not in his mouth yet. He will also listen to "drop it" if it is in his mouth and he does not particularly care about it, like bringing a nasty looking toy in from outside, but if it is something he really wants "drop it" tuns into freeze and wait for us to pry his mouth open. The difficultly of prying his mouth open is proportional to how much he did not want to drop it. Sometimes it is just go through the motions, other times it takes two people to get his mouth open then who is going to reach in for object. (it does make one understand the plight of lion tamers though, there is just something about having a dog where your whole arm can reach down their throat that does that I guess). I would rate last nights popcicle stick a medium difficulty, thankfully it was not meat flavored.

Ike

p.s. there was a study a couple of years back that rated Mastiff's as having the strongest bite of all dogs due to the shape of their heads, it was measured at 500 psi, by comparison the bite of an african lion was listed at 800-1,000 psi

I have Tigger's cousin Duke over here in Tampa. Duke is a reverse brindle (black) boxer we adopted from Florida Boxer Rescue.

Duke and his sister Sadie couple years back lounging by the pool. Sadie past away April 2013. They love laying by the pool but not going in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.