Pristine Blue to Chlorine

Apr 4, 2014
Tennessee
Hi folks!
I used Pristine Blue last year. It was my first year as a pool owner, and they recommended it. I want to switch to chlorine and borates this year. The copper level at the end of last season was very low, and I did not place any more Pristine Blue into the pool.

I don't have numbers yet for the pool levels this year. My questions are these:

1) What copper level is a safe low to be able to open my pool using chlorine?

2) Is there anything other than copper that I need to be concerned about before using a full chlorine system?

3) If my copper level (or any other Pristine Blue problem) is too high, are there any good ways to lower it without draining my pool?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

1) Copper below 0.3 should be fine. Higher levels can be managed with sequestrant, though that can get expensive eventually (you need to keep adding more sequestrant regularly).

2) No, just copper.

3) Yes, and no. There is no reliable way to lower the copper level other than replacing water, but there are some other approaches that work some of the time. For example, sequestrant occasionally removes metals, though usually not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.