Dirt!!!!!!

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
i cant get it out. i have vacuumed pool 3 times now. come back hours later, and dirt at bottom of pool again.:mad:

i have a triangle shapped very nice vaccuum and hose ($100 for both) that I use hooked to my hayward skimmer. and I shut the second inlet off to double the suction to my vac once its hooked up. last year I only vacuumed pool every saturday unless we had excessive wind or something that dirtied pool.

thinking that im just stirring it up off the bottom rather than sucking it up, yesterday I vacuumed it, then kept pump running all day while I brushed pool every 15-20 minutes to keep dirt from settling thinking sandfilter would get it out. No dice. unless there is that much dirt in the air (it has been a long time since rain and there is a house on the other side of the pond (80-90 ft away from pool) that they just completed and it has only dirt for a yard.)

still im thinking it should take a couple of days for dirt to show in my pool from that.... not hours.

also, my guage on sandfilter is in yellow, last year it stayed in green all year, and I backwashed every 2 weeks. I backwashed for 15 minutes yesterday, plus rinsed it for 3 minutes, guage didnt move. Im thinking winter killed it.....

do I have to have a guage or will I be okay just backwashing every two weeks and not worrying about tank pressure?

thanks!

Further more, I wouldn't trust any pressure gauges with preset ranges. You should establish your own "green, yellow and red" operating pressures.

Everyone's pump set up is different and will have different ranges. Note the pressure after a proper backwash cycle. Backwash again when it increases pressure by 20%.

If you prefer not to mess with DE, another option is to add cellulose fiber to your sand filter. This is done using the same procedure described in Add DE to a Sand Filter. Cellulose fiber goes under the most common trade names of FiberClear or ZeoFiber. I have used both brands, when needed, for extra filtering. The main advantage of cellulose fiber is you avoid the hazards associated with inadvertently breathing the DE particles.

i would stir the water in a circular fashion aka whirlpool
then leave pool for hours to settle then vacuum dirt to waste
hopefully it will have settled in a nice pile near centre of pool

Swirling works like a champ, but you don't have to wait hours. Usually 20 minutes is good, especially with large enough to see.

If the DE doesn't work, you could try a Slime bag. That's what I finally did on the old pool, and it really helped a lot. These little filters just don't do well. Some of them anyway.

I have a similar problem. Its seems like the dirt just returns to the deep end after vacuuming so I assume the sand filter just doesn't filter it out. How much DE should be added to a sand filter? The one time I added DE the pressure would just rise and I'd have to backwash it out but maybe I had added to much. Also, what's a slime bag?

Go look at the windowsills, the patio furniture, the car parked on the drive. If they're covered with dirt, so's your pool.

The problem is that your water's too clear. You can see a speck of dirt through eight feet of water. People with murky pools don't get upset by some dust. They can't see it. Heck, they probably can't see the drain! :mrgreen:

Your sparklypoolitis is just flaring up again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Replace that gauge. A correctly working gauge is essential to proper pool water management.....it is not a convenience item.....it is essential.

Reach down into the pool and "roll" some of that dirt between your thumb and finger. If it is gritty, it is dirt. If it is slimy, it is not dirt.....it's dead algae.

Update the info in your sig when you get a chance

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.