Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: *&!# union fittings ... my nemesis!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

*&!# union fittings ... my nemesis!!!

Working on installing my new FlowVis and even after reminding myself 2 minutes earlier, 3 seconds after I seated the pipe/solvent into the FlowVis I realized I forgot to put the stupid nut part of the union on the pipe This would not be the first time I have done this.

Given the limited area I am working in ... this was almost a few hundred $ disaster. After a few (more than a few) choice words I came up with a plan that should work. And then started cleaning the filter to decompress. That allowed me to think of a better plan, of cutting off the union and reversing the FlowVis since I have to use an external fitting on that side anyways. Current disaster averted ... the next one will cost me though

Moral of the story ... ALWAYS triple check you remember to put the nut on the union before you glue it on
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: *&!# union fittings ... my nemesis!!!

If you catch that kind of mistake while the solvent is still pliable, you can quickly remove the fitting, then reset it with fresh solvent/glue. Been there many times!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

The easier something is....the less you think about it..........the greater the opportunity to screw it up!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Even only a few seconds and I could not get the thing to budge.

On a higher note ... I JUST got the plumbing back together, DE filter ripped apart and cleaned and recharged with Fiber (with lots of pictures so I can make a tutorial), FlowVis and new liquid filled pressure gauge installed, and fired it up with no apparent leaks!!!

So hopefully I will not have to touch the pad and filter again until next spring ... we will have to see how the fiber does instead of the DE.

Only thing I have left to do is get up on the roof and do a better job securing my solar panels
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I have forgotten that nut at least 3-4 times working with unions........I have had to take a "timeout" when I discovered my error(s)
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Me too...plus I had to buy a new (expensive) set of pump unions from Hayward
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

Had to laugh when I read this...guilty !!!
    18' x 36' IG Vinyl 30K gallon, Hayward 1 1/2 HP pump and DE Filter hardpiped, Aqua Pro 1300 Electric Heat Pump.
    TF100 Test Kit on order !
    Commercial Popcorn machine, sno cone machine and cotton candy machine, lost my red nose.