Burying a Radiant! How we dropped an AGP in our yard

Jan 21, 2013
Greetings!

We installed our pool last year but I never got around to posting a build thread. But I wanted to do one because a lot of people want information on how to bury an AGP.

First step was to buy a well-built AGP pool and bury it ourselves. It was going to be up to DH and his many friends to make this happen. He has many knowledgeable friends, so that's not too much of an issue, but he got nervous at the size of the project.

So when that got too complicated, we moved to Plan B. I started calling PBs and assessing our options. First on the list was cost. We live in a small town with a low COL. Our home is small, but we love it and we live next door to DH's mother. So taking all those things into consideration, we didn't want to spend $40k+ on a pool. For some of you, that is cheap! But in comparison to our home and the property values nearby, it didn't make good financial sense. It needed to be less than $20k for us to be able to not regret spending the money. Further down on the list was size and shape.

So I sent several emails to PBs and they said "you can't bury an AGP". The first PB I talked to in person also said the same. In fact, said it was impossible. I heard that over and over from PBs who installed both IG and AGPs. It's 100% untrue and made me distrust them from the start. It's ok to say it's not something you do and then try to sell me one of your options. I get you're in the business of selling your inventory. But to say it's impossible, well you're either ignorant or a liar, and either way I don't want you digging a hole in my yard.

Then comes our savior PB. I drove past his shop on the way out of town one day. I called and asked if he buried AGPs, he said yes, and thus began a very nice relationship. You, sir, can dig in my hole. That's what she said.

I went immediately to meet him and he told me about a new pool he just started selling called Radiant. He showed me a brochure with this picture on it and I was sold.

Radiant-metric_pools_3-940x360.jpg

I got an estimate on the project and went home to discuss with DH. We both went back a few days later and booked him. The plan:

*24' Radiant Metric, completely buried
*Kool Deck - 350 sq (hmmm, that's not enough)
*1.5HP Pentair IntelliFlo
*Hayward top-mount sand filter - 300lb.
*Liner, start-up chemicals, steps
*3 returns & vacuum return
*Stanley automatic vacuum
*Electrical
*Install

$14,700

So here are the befores. Our yard looking off our back deck at the 11:00-12:00 mark.

IMG_0717_zpsd2744a4e.jpg

1:00-2:00 mark. Aww, look at that sweet cess pool. Buh bye. But you can see where we sprayed an outline of the new pool. Woot!

IMG_0758_zps2ef7aee5.jpg

My snazzy rendition of what I want the backyard to look like (with a few more sq of deck). No 3-D here. Old school powerpoint all the way, baby.

pooltandeck_zpsa37afcc1.jpg

Digging started in April 2013. There were a few snags along the way, which I will document, but the overall timeline from first dig to swimming was about 3 weeks.

Great! A kindred spirit. Had to brush off a whole bunch of "can't be done" or outrageous quotes on my project as well. Glad to hear you found someone who would listen to you. And I know you'll enjoy your pool so much more as something that reflects what you want.

Great! A kindred spirit. Had to brush off a whole bunch of "can't be done" or outrageous quotes on my project as well. Glad to hear you found someone who would listen to you. And I know you'll enjoy your pool so much more as something that reflects what you want.

Yes, that's right. We are persistent people, aren't we? That's actually one of my best qualities. Well, persistent and obsessive. At least I'm that way about a pool or a organizing project and not an ex-boyfriend.

That's what she said! Bwaaahaaahaa!

Our neighbor just had a fiberglass pool (or Advanced Composite Material pool - per their signage - I think fiberglass may be undergoing a rebranding) installed. They started the dig on Wednesday and were filling with water last night. As I approach Week 21 of my 12 week project, I am thinking you both have the right idea!

Can't wait to see your progress on the finishing touches as well as your initial install.

I've uploaded all my pics to photobucket but when I paste them here, the portrait ones flip landscape. What the heck?

Yea Mia, time is not flying over your way. Or running. Or even mall-walking. Boooooo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, they started the dig while I was at work and I came home to a large hole.

IMG_0765_zpsf4fa1ab6.jpg

IMG_0767_zps0b0397f9.jpg

IMG_0764_zps13f2be7e.jpg

IMG_0766_zpscd9b0fd1.jpg

As you can see in the last two pictures, they had to put in a sump pump. Apparently our water table was way too high and needed to be drained. So for about a week, we heard the slip/slurp of a pump.

The pool arrived in pieces and awaited installation.

IMG_0768_zps143c8f66.jpg

They dug about 4 feet down and ran into a lot of water. So began the sump-pumping. They did that about a week and decided they were fighting mother nature and that was a much bigger fight than they could win. PB decided to stop the dig there and lay down a bunch of gravel. I suppose this was so the liner wouldn't float later down the road.

The trucked in a ton of gravel.

IMG_0773_zps59f976ad.jpg

IMG_0775_zps7fd7898f.jpg

IMG_0781_zps9600a9d3.jpg

IMG_0783_zps016257e1.jpg

The kids watching them spread the gravel around and eyeballing those piles of dirt.

IMG_0777_zpsf60f56bb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So I know why they stopped the digging, but that meant that my pool would be about 2 feet too high, and not dropped all the way in. We could add dirt to meet the lip of the pool, but now my pool would be up a little bit. I didn't realize this was happening until the pool was put together and the walls were higher than the land.

IMG_0785_zps0cf0112f.jpg

See how the walls are a bit too high?

IMG_0786_zpsf59a1808.jpg

Close-up of the Radiant. Apparently this thing is a breeze to put together. I left for work with a hole in the yard and came home to a pool.

IMG_0790_zps840c656d.jpg

IMG_0784_zps1f80cc2e.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pad created and the equipment arrives.

IMG_0821_zpscd3953f0.jpg

Pentair IntelliFlo VS 1.5hp - $549

1683.jpg

300 lb Hayward sand filter - $649

s244t-300lb-sand-filter.jpg

We had thought because we were using an AGP that we could use equipment for an AGP. PB said no, that we had an IGP and we needed equipment strong enough to move water up and down. So we ended up with IGP equipment. Something to think about it you are dropping an AGP into the ground.

Beaded liner goes in.

IMG_0811_zps24cdd8e8.jpg

RadiantLiner_AlbionTile.jpg

Pipes laid and sump pump still slip/slurps. We had 3 returns and 1 vacuum return installed. 1 skimmer.

IMG_0822_zpsea6719f6.jpg

IMG_0823_zpsb293afca.jpg

IMG_0824_zps697729d6.jpg

When I was younger, I could never understand why my mom would get into the pool and never go under. She said she didn't want to get her hair wet. When you are 7yo, that makes no sense at all. Why get in the water if you aren't going to swim and go under? But now that I'm older, I totally get it. I haven't been under in 10 years. I sit. So the biggest drawback to having an AGP is that you are limited in your areas to sit. They just don't make large, expansive steps. I know there is a TFP'er who has made a platform, but we haven't done it yet. Pipe dreams.

Our steps arrive.

IMG_0825_zpsc38b943f.jpg

So once the pool was installed, we realized how much deck we really wanted and it was far more than a few hundred sf. We also debated the type - I wanted stone, but DH thought concrete with a spray deck application was more sensible. So we decided to wait a summer, use the pool, map out the exact deck location, and figure out a deck type.

In the meantime, we found a wooden platform to use. It wasn't pretty, but it served a purpose.

IMG_0961_zps471d8aec.jpg

IMG_0963_zps41ad680a.jpg

IMG_0968_zps2aa2dd78.jpg

IMG_0970_zps8e1a9cd4.jpg

IMG_0971_zpsa633ac3e.jpg

Done!

IMG_0972_zpsdcd4ffad.jpg

And now, here is the pool 10 months after install. You can see the "steps" DH built to show where our new deck will begin.

poolfromdeck_zpse3df7700.jpg

poolfromright_zps0e966069.jpg

I loved reading your post and can so relate. I am also someone who has a hard time with the words, "CANNOT BE DONE" and generally never listen to that. lol..Out of curiosity, when they put down the gravel, what did they put over the top of the gravel to protect the liner? I am about to bury and above ground pool myself and wondered what we would do it we get down into the ground and hit water.
p.s. BEAUTIFUL POOL

I loved reading your post and can so relate. I am also someone who has a hard time with the words, "CANNOT BE DONE" and generally never listen to that. lol..Out of curiosity, when they put down the gravel, what did they put over the top of the gravel to protect the liner? I am about to bury and above ground pool myself and wondered what we would do it we get down into the ground and hit water.
p.s. BEAUTIFUL POOL

Kindred spirits! I have always wanted a pool. Always! So I was going to make it happen!

I'm not entirely sure what sort of lining they put down. It's not in the paperwork. Free? Ha! I will ask my DH and see if he knows.

Have you decided what sort of pool you are going to bury?

Yes. After much research. I just purchased a 28' round Sharkline Matrix Resin pool with salt system. It is supposedly one of the best salt pools offered. It should be delivered anyday now. It has all resin tracks and components. Only the wall itself is steel. I buried an above ground that was given to me years ago when people told me not to. We used it over 10 years and it was still doing great when we moved 2 years ago. This time around I would love to do a concrete patio around it but I am more intimidated since I know it will have to be backfilled with something that will support the weight of the concrete. I am very much a "DIY"er but I have racked my brain on this one. I am beginning to get dizzy from doing so much research on the computer. LOL Thanks so much for any advice.

@ pianogirl... for best result, backfill with gravel. It will last forever and not sink leaving a void under the concrete.
You can backfill with soil but every 6 or 8 inches or so, you would need to compact it with one of those compacting machines. Its a real pain doing all that compacting though. Sand also works well.

<end of hijack>

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.