Sand or Sand/Portland mix under A/G Liner

Apr 3, 2014
GA
I am installing a new A/G. Have had one in the past and helped family members install one also. However, I have never been able to compact sand well enough to maintain smooth bottom for liner installation. Someone told me to mix 7 parts sand to 1 part Portland so that it would compact better. However, will this end up like hard concrete or will it still have some cushion? I'm not a big fan of Gorilla pad or any other cloth type surface. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks so much. Can you tell me a formula? Like Sand/Portland/ Vermiculite? 7/1/? Also, I have seen many posts about using the styrene foam boards. Wouldn't those break down over time? My last pool I just used sand and NEVER was able to achieve a smooth flat bottom.

There is a commercial product called pool-crete that most people use for the base below a vinyl liner. It is possible to duplicate their formula fairly easily, though I don't know the recipe, but most people simply buy their pre-mix. If you go that route you can get a nice smooth bottom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.