Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand or Sand/Portland mix under A/G Liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand or Sand/Portland mix under A/G Liner

I am installing a new A/G. Have had one in the past and helped family members install one also. However, I have never been able to compact sand well enough to maintain smooth bottom for liner installation. Someone told me to mix 7 parts sand to 1 part Portland so that it would compact better. However, will this end up like hard concrete or will it still have some cushion? I'm not a big fan of Gorilla pad or any other cloth type surface. All suggestions welcome.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand or Sand/Portland mix under A/G Liner

A Sand/cement mix will work ok if it is done correctly. However, I think that a vermiculite mix will give you a better base.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks so much. Can you tell me a formula? Like Sand/Portland/ Vermiculite? 7/1/? Also, I have seen many posts about using the styrene foam boards. Wouldn't those break down over time? My last pool I just used sand and NEVER was able to achieve a smooth flat bottom.

4. Back To Top    #4

There is a commercial product called pool-crete that most people use for the base below a vinyl liner. It is possible to duplicate their formula fairly easily, though I don't know the recipe, but most people simply buy their pre-mix. If you go that route you can get a nice smooth bottom.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

My favourite leveller is blue metal dust..... Its just crushed up Blue Stone.... Its fantastic for drainage and it sets hard....
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

Where do you find this material?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I checked into pool-crete but it is very expensive. I don't think I could afford enough of it.

7. Back To Top    #7

Any in ground vinyl pool installer should be able to sell you some vermiculite premix.